This just does not sound fair! Whatever happened to family time!

Ok so I am currently without kids and ttc. My cousin was all upset the other day as they were told that they could not take their daughter to Disney World for their yearly vacation as she would miss school? they told her she needs to take vacation when school is on vaca? Does anybody know how hard it is to get school vaca weeks off at work? not too mention the cost of travel during holiday vacations? what is with this?... It just makes me sick, kids do not get to spend anywhere near enough time with their family these days so to take away family vacationing???? its a shame. Makes me want to homeschool the kids I dont even have yet! We have vacation timeshare with Disney that we got with the intentions of taking our kids to Disney every year....what the heck! Has anyone run into this issue with school?

DisneyBride13

Asked by DisneyBride13 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in

• My SS's mom takes him out for a week every year to take him to FL for vacation. The first year they gave her a hard time so now she just calls and tells them he is sick. She does it toward the end of the school year so he does not miss much and he makes up all the work when he gets back to school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• That is part of being a parent. Schools are much more demanding than they used to be when we were kids. To miss even just one week could really damage their grades. Not to mention what a pain for teachers when there is a child gone one week for vacation, then the next week it is another child and so and and so forth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There are a TON of opportunities throughout the year to schedule a vacation that don't occur during the 180 days out of 365 that school is in session (185 days to be exact). Education SHOULD be the priority, not Mickey Mouse. Why would anyone take their kids out of school for a vacation? Not sure how old the kids you're talking about are, but teaching the kids that vacations are more important than school time is a dangerous precedent to set. I suppose school is okay as long as there isn't something more fun to do? Man...it's called teaching priorities.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have not run into the issue because I am a home schooler. On the other hand, I do hear about these frustrations FREQUENTLY from my sister and other friends I have that their children go to public school and charter school.
    My kids are involved in a lot of activities and sports so sometimes that ties up our schedule, but I sure wouldn't allow my vacation to be dictated by someone else.
    One of the great things about home schooling is our flexibility and it's great to be able to hit the HOT SPOTS when the lines are the shortest.
    Something else that bothers me for my sister is that her kids are in school all day then once they're home they have homework. Depending on the night it's hard to fit in dinner, baths, family time, any chores or free time. It's a tight schedule for kids to keep especially if they also have extra curricular clubs or sports. Too much for a child in my opinion.
    They should at least feel carefree as kids
    Anonymous

• No, we go skiing every January and/or February and have had many many trips during school. 4H out of state events, family reunions, trips with their dad on work related things, even one time my niece got them tickets to a PBR event she planned so they could meet the riders. Each time our school let the kids go as long as the work was made up within one week of returning and the time gone was always excused.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It's never happen to me, go to school board I don't think this is allowed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i have custody of my 16 year old sister, and if we go on a trip, i have to write her an 'educational excuse' (basically, why our trip will be a learning experience). to top it off, she has to write an essay on what she hopes to learn on her trip!
    eesh! sooo annoying!
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There's a way around that ya know? It's called an immediate family emergency. Sometimes you NEED a vacation. You know what i mean? Don't tell the school you are going on vacation. Tell the school you had an immediate family emergency. My son's teacher told me to say that one day cuz he missed and was not sick.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:46 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Lol...not sure what the anon's issue is with Mickey Mouse! Kids learn A LOT in Disney World...it is very educational.

Thanks for the great feedback all. While I understand that it may be "difficult" for teachers....I know plenty of teachers that take vacation time off during school ... cant imagine its easy on kids to have subs either lol

I guess my big issue here is we work our buts off to provide for our families so if we decide to go on a wholesome family vacation...should the school really be able to tell us no?
    DisneyBride13

Answer by DisneyBride13 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Children need to understand that school is more important then vacations.This is your child's job.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2009