My son's teacher choose "Goose Bumps" the movie for her class to watch...

for their "Harvest party". The problem is, she didn't let us know in advance and my son can not watch Goose Bumps because he gets nightmares! I don't think this movie is age appropiate for 1st graders. I don't even allow him to watch this show at home! What would you do?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I understand your aggravation. They drive me crazy at my kids school, showing PG movies all the time, even in kindergarten. It makes me mad--PG means "parental guidance", which means that not only should parents have a say in whether their 5 year old should see it, but if the parent should be there to help guide...hello. I have been thinking about sending a note to the principal suggesting that in elementary school, they should only show G-rated movies, but I don't want to start any trouble, so I haven't done it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Ask them if they would pull your son from class so he won't get nightmares...tell them he is sensitive to scary movies they will take it from there. If you tell the principle they would just tell the teacher that she didn't give out a permission slip requesting permission to watch the movie and if you tell the teacher she might just pull your son out and take him into another classroom til the movie is over...
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 9:31 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I would mention it to the teacher. She definitely should have sent a note home to parents, since I'm sure many moms feel the same as you do about it. But also understand that it was probably all in fun, for the spirit of Halloween.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I'm doing my sons 1st grade party and the Teacher and I decided to do Halloween stories, but they are kid friendly. The librarian helped me pick out a couple funny ones. Maybe ask her if they could do something a bit more school related. Our boys have seen a lot of the goosebump movies but when it comes to other peoples children I don't know what they can or can't see so I tried to stick to something a bit more fun, and a lot less scary!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You know- I agree. That movie is more for 4th graders.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 11:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There are a lot more kid-appropriate Halloween movies out there for 1st graders. My DD is in kindergarten and she is terrified of scary movies, even the kid friendly ones. Just because it's Halloween doesn't mean it has to be scary. I would start off by asking her if she would possibly consider picking another movie. If she does not want to do that, then ask her if your child could go sit in on one of the other classrooms while the movie is going on unless that would make your child feel out of place. Good luck.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Can you ask her to change the movie? What about the Disney Movie, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8il8kOMsg
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 2:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009