What can I give my daughter for a bad cough with trouble breathing following.

I took my 22 month old daughter to the DR. for a bad cough and trouble breathing, she also has a runny nose. They listened to her lungs and said she was fine and sent me on my way, no medicine nothing, she is having a hard time sleeping and has a horrible cough. Everytime she coughs she has trouble catching her breath. I gave her some saline nose spray and at night I use a humidifier and give her a little bit of motrin but is there anything else I can do she is miserable and the military doctors don't seem to care.

ShanaleesMom

Asked by ShanaleesMom at 9:32 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• you can try propping her up some while sleeping...but I would take her in again--maybe go off base?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:34 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Get a humidifier and some Vick's vapor rub.

Answer by louise2 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• They probably didn't give medicine because she doesn't need any.... it doesn't mean they don't care. For things like a cold antibiotics aren't going to help and she is too young for cough medicine.
    The things you are doing for her are what you should do. Encourage lots of drinking to keep secretions thin. You could try baby vapor rub at night. Like the pp suggested, put the head of her bed up to help her breath easier.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son went through this at this age. I took him to the dr. and they sent us on our way. The next night he was in the hospital RSV... Not saying your baby has this.... I would see another dr. off base just to make sure. Catching her breath something is going on... I hope your baby is feeling well soon...
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I'm sorry my son was 9 months not 22 months.... Still find a dr.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If she just has a cold they will not give her anything. Motrin does not help a cold either. Like I said before,, use a humidifier and some vicks.

Answer by louise2 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• vicks on her feet will help wiht the coughing. no idea why, but it works!

I'd take her in again or get a second opinion. ANytime there is a sturggle to get breath, it's a bad sign. Mine needed a nebulizer with several of her colds becuase her lungs couldn't handle all the mucus.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Run a COOL mist humidifier all day for her. My son gets croup ALOT so I run ours 24/7. Also, warm baths to break up the mucus. The trick of Vicks on the feet seems to work for us as well, but I was told to put socks on too.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Honey. :) It always helps with my daughters' coughs.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Thanks everyone for the help
    ShanaleesMom

Answer by ShanaleesMom at 3:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009