I need help...could I lose my kid over this?

I've always had a quick temper, but lately I'm starting to think that it's more than that, and I should get some help, like anger management or something. I've never been violent--but I just get filled with this rage and lash out, yell or slam stuff.. I'm a single Mom to an almost 2 year old and he tries my patience as most toddlers do---And a lot of the time I can calm myself down, but sometimes I cant help it and Iwill scream at him and be mean to him. Like this morning he refused to get dressed, runing away from me, rolling around, kicking one leg out of his pants before I could get the other in.. so I just yelled at him "FINE, DO WHAT YOU WANT, BYE!" and I left the room and slammed the door, I left him crying in my dark room all alone and just walked around the house a little.. then I went back in and he let me dress him.. then I was getting my coffee ready and he kept sptepping on my bare feet with his shoes and..cont..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I kept like pushing him away (not hard just enough to get him off my feet) and saying "just a second babe" But after the third or fourth time i just screamed at him "GET THE HELL OFF MY FEET!!!!" and his little lip quivered and I felt sooooo bad, I was almost crying....
    Anyways.. my question is, well questionS are--- Where do I start? I dont want to be like this to him, I love him so mch and he doesnt deserve to get screamed at. If I seek help for this... They arent going to like take him away are they?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Contact your local department of family services regarding parenting and anger management classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You def. need some help before he gets hurt, they can't take your kids if your getting help with your situation. Try to be a little more patient, take a breather, realize the what it is your son is needing from you. I hope you get help.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You are under alot of stress... Don't take it out on your son. My god! The best way is to try humor and you will be able to control your son. It sounds like he wants you to love him.... I feel so sorry for your son. You need help , meaning a brake from your son. Bring him over and I will watch him. Just slow down and make it fun for him instead of fighting with him. SAD....
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Oh honey! It'll be okay!
    No one is going to take your baby away for yelling at him. The fact that you are aware (and feeling guilty) and looking for assistance, shows that you care and are a good parent. Hormones could have a lot to do with it. If you go to your doctor and explain how you're feeling, he/she may prescribe something like zoloft, if you are comfortable with that. Perhaps that's all it will take to take the edge off your anger and help you deal with things, without going to extremes. Until then, don't get discouraged. Take a deep breath and remember that every mommy gets tired and mad.
    PS- Your son knows you love him. :)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:09 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i totally get u y bfs daughter hated me and did ever thing she could to push my buttons, i have a quick temper too, especially if is the samething over and over.
    i dont know if angermanagment will help but try it, i am in counciling and its helping. my sons 15 months and plays me, he takes my cell phone and computer mouse everytime i set them down ive spanked his hands and get the tears in the eyes and lip quiver, it i spank his butt he dont care (he cant feel it) on my daughter the spanking worked it, cause she knew it upset me, my sons like kool it annoys her.
    i know what u did sounds bad but sometimes u have to get through to them its not a game theres time to play and time to listen.
    i have a barbell in my tounge my son thinks its fun to play with, he moves it up and down and checks randomly to see if its there, the time i got mad was when he tried to pull it out. i know he didnt mean to hurt me, but it really hurt.
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 10:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You need help and you need a break!! I don't know where you live but PM me and maybe I can help. Look in the phonebook and call your local family services department or crisis pregnancy center ( most of them help FAMILIES and single mothers, not just pregnant women) and get some help.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• god i feel like a loser
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 10:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You are not alone in your stress. We deal with many families on the edge at school. While your behavior is not great, the fact that you know you need some help is a good start. You can actually just go to your regular doctor and tell them how you are feeling... anxiety, stressed, you may not even have to go in to detail... they will (and have) on many occassions prescribed medication to help you deal with your situation easier. This may be all you need. I have had a number of Moms tell me that this is all it takes to get the situation under control. If this fist step does not help, you should seek counseling. Good luck and do this TODAY!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• god i feel like a loser

You are not! Step by step by step.... just keep working on it everyday and be aware that you anger easily and try and take some time to get your feelings in check everyday. Hang in there!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2009