(other) people picking up children from school- what would you have done?

I’d like to start off by saying I may come off as paranoid -HOWEVER my children are MY LIFE (as with probably all of you as well)... we tend to parent differently BUT all want what is best for our children :).... on that note...

The policy for picking up children at my dd's elementary school is either the PARENT or the "assigned" person on the LIST can p/u the child with proper ID (if not the immediate parent).... I have my hubby, myself and our parents on the list....

Last Friday my hubby went to pick my 6 yr old dd from her school (kinder) and when he came home he said she was standing w one of my "friends"... None of the kinder teacher attended school that day (out sick) and there were subs with the children, so when my dd's class got out and my dd didn't see her daddy(or me) right away she started to almost cry... so my friend (parent acquaintance) called my dd over with her (since she said the teacher went over to.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• OP cont…… the car loop leaving my dd behind). The sub didn’t KNOW the other parent and didn’t even ask any questions. My dd waited w this parent until my hubby got her from the other parent and brought her home.

When I learned this yesterday I CANNOT get it out of my head… all the WHAT IF’S….
    What IF someone else had called her over? What IF my hubby wasn’t the one to get her from the other parent? What IF…?

What is YOUR school’s pick up policy for young children and what would you do if MY situation happened to you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• what IF the other parent had simply walked off with her? ahhhhhhh!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Though it was nice of your frined to console and wait with your dd, it was the teachers responsibility to either check the emergency contacts, call you, or have your dd wait with the teacher, or a school personell. I would just talk to the principal and explain your concern and state what is expected from you if this situation is to occur again.

I understand your concern. All the kids in my child's school know me, and though my intentions are always on the up and up, i don't know all their parents...so they don't know me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• talk to the principal and get the sub in trouble the have sing in and out sheets for a reason
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 10:14 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well I don't play the "what if" game, it's pointless. We have a list that we fill out at my daughters school on who can pick her up and who can't. If I know i'm not picking her up then I usually call the school and let them know that someone else will be bringing her home, but not always. A few of my friends kids go to the same school, so they are on the list and the teachers know who they are. Just talk to the school, that's about all you can do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have made it clear to my daughter that NOBODY will be picking her up except me, her dad, gmas/gpas, or aunt/uncle. I told her under no circumstance to go with anyone else whether they are my friend or not. The teacher that walks the kids out everyday keeps the kids from running out into the street but we have to walk up to the gate to get our kindergarteners. Address you concern with the principal or the regular teacher when she returns.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:40 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You have to make it clear to your daughter who can and who cannot pick her up. I've only ever seen a school check ID when a child was picked up at an odd time (not end of the day when everyone was leaving). I would also talk to the principal about the school's policy - they need to educate subs better and also educate the children and make the policy very clear to the parents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• When my daughter was in 2nd grade, I waited in the loop for her to come out. After all the other cars left & no more kids were coming out, I went in the school to check if she was still there. Then I went to her dad's (a couple blocks from the school) to see if she decided to walk there. She was there, but she didn't walk. One of his friends was picking up her kids & my dd said she couldn't find me. So she took her to her dad's. I was livid! I have never liked that woman, then to do that! The panic that she caused is inexcusable.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree with Zakysmommy...my husband or I are the ones who usually pick up my children from school. If we cannot, I call the school or send a note in the morning so they know who is picking them up.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• OP HERE:  OMG- i'm so glad i wasn't over-reacting, lol... OH believe ME i have made it VERY clear to my dd... AND EVEN MORE clear after Friday....  she "seems" to understand and trust me she is BEYOND smart... but this to me was unfortunate proof that "IT COULD HAPPEN to ANYONE... "

i ALSO try not to do the "what if's BUT OMG i cannot get it out of my head ESPECIALLY b/c i am in FL where the little girl was abducted on her way home from school and found 2 days later murdered in GA........ still WAAAAAAY to fresh in my head!.... i will talk to her teacher today and speak w the principal as well :)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009