Does anyone know anything on SENSORY DISORDER.

sensory disorder my grand daughter was diagnosed with this she has issues with certain type of clothing,with touch,,can not control her emotions.I need help so i might be able to help my daughter.

myra727

Asked by myra727 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• You need to get her therapy from someone who specializes in working with children with sensory disorders; early intervention is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:44 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I know that many kids with Sensory Integration Disorder thrive on deep pressure therapy. They make weighted blankets that these kids LOVE to wrap up in. Depending on her age, she might also benefit from being carried in a sling that wraps her close to mommy. Some kids like to wear leotards and tight under clothes because of the tightness.

Many kids with SID also like to swing and spin. It helps them regulate their nervous systems.

There is a great book called "The Out of Sync Child" that might help you learn more about your GD.

You have to find the things that bug her AND the things that help calm her down and then work around all these things. Occupational Therapy will probably help A LOT with this.

Hope this helps!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Im an adult with SPD. Touch issues, sound sensitivity, bright lights, the way clothes feel in certain areas, easily overstimulated with crowds, and anxiety.
    Ms ds who is 10, has HFA and also deals with SPD. He has always been in OT but what I think has been the biggest help for me to help him, is the fact that I live with it. Understanding what he lives with and deals with helps me see ahead of time and head off things that can potentially bother him as well as help him learn ways to deal with certain things.
    When I was growing up this wasnt something that was known about. It was just something I just always dealt with and have lived with. Im glad that he has the opportunity to have help at an early age to deal with this though.
    The internet is a wonderful resource full of helpful information as well. Depending on her age, just watching her for clues can tell you what bothers her as well.
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 11:21 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Hi There!

My son has Sensory Integration; he was diagnosed with it in April of 2008. If you would like to talk or have questions please feel free to e-mail me! I know a bunch of techniques to help and I know the stress/worries that goes along with being a parent with a child that has sensory issues!

Take Care,

Jennifer
    Navy_Wife506

Answer by Navy_Wife506 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• There are many children living with processing disorders and it is not easy for them or their parents. The number one thing you can do is listen and you can ask the parents how you can assist them and your grandchild right now. There are so many wonderful therapists out there and (in time) it will get better with hard work. Your grandchild will never outgrow this disorder but she can learn techniques and coping skills to carry her though situations throughout her entire life. The key is to have compassion and know she is not trying to be difficult or willful. Many parents, caregivers, and family think it is a parenting issue. And as parents we sometimes get overwhelmed and have our times of melt downs. Ask it you can go to some of the appointments (if they think this will be helpful) and read as much as you can on her specific disorder. I wouldn't jump in and make suggestions. Let the parents lead the way. This is

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• their baby and they probably have many concerns and things they are scared of for their baby right now. Give them a safe place to talk or not talk. Give them a place where things can just be "normal" for them. Whateve that normal may look like. It is hard when we love our children and see them going through a difficult time. They will get make it work, your grandchild will learn how to cope better, and it will take hard work and time. Lots of hugs.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• To all the ladies that responded Thank You All you guys were very helpful,i have found many resources that i know will answers all the many questions i was wondering about.Again many thanks myra727.
    myra727

Answer by myra727 at 8:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2009