baby einstein scam, refunds parents: ok, did anybody really think baby einstein videos were good for your kids?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/the-great-baby-einstein-scam-531147/

thoughts?
my son had 2 baby einstein videos & of course loved them! & i liked them too. we would let him watch them if he was being super super grumpy, or sometimes just for a little treat. maybe once-twice per week when he was a baby.
this article makes it sound like people really bought into the whole idea that they were good for your kids and would make them smarter? is that true? :) i mean i liked them, but i knew that staring at the tv screen was not going to help him learn, & that looking at books & toys was much better for him. does anyone feel misled?
now my son is 2 and watching things like shrek, lassie, and jungle book, which i also don't think is good for him...
idk i think it's bad if they were deliberately misleading parents. i don't watch commercials much so i don't really know. but it does seem silly to have to refund money

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dunno. I never bought into and had heard of studies showings these movies and shows actually had the opposite effect. While it didn't say, I think it makes sense that the children that were suffering where the ones whose parents replaced the video with one on one time. I think the videos are a great way to *help* boost your baby and give you ideas and ways to interact with your child. But at the end of the day, it still takes parents spending time with and talking to their children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My kids didn't have any Baby Einstein videos and I never thought parking babies in front of a screen was a good idea. My cousin on the other hand used them a lot with her baby and thought she was doing a great thing for her daughter (my cousin tends to be lazy and had no problem buying into the easy way).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The whole "Baby Eineteins will make your baby smarter" claim is all news to me. When I read about the controversy this morning, I was shocked to think that anyone would buy into that. I guess I just though it was common knowledge that some tv in moderation is ok, and that too much is somewhat harmful. The videos are cute and have nice music, so I don't think folks should get a refund. Its a nice product and if someone has had the videos since 2004, they prob got alot of use out of them and no longer watch them. Just seems rediculous. I don't think that folks TRULY believe that if they sit their children in front on a tv program, no matter how educational, that they will become miraculously gifted.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My dd always loved the videos too. Did I think that her watching them would turn her into a baby einstein? Of course not, but apparently there were some who did. I think it's ridiculous that Disney is giving refunds. If you seriously thought that plopping your child in front of a TV to watch hand puppets was going to make them a genius, you have bigger problems than the $15-$20 you spent on the video.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• yea i just looked it up on cnn.com and they said the AAP recommends that babies not watch tv at all until at least 2 years old. not very shocking i suppose... teehee. i'm like you all, i was pretty surprised that they were acting like people really thought it was going to make babies smarter. like i said, i was lazy sometimes and let my son watch it if he was being super grumpy. not really proud of it. i never thought it was helping him learn. but i also don't really think it did him any harm to watch an hour or 2 per week. i always would talk to him about what was on the screen. don't know if that really helped though
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• lol @lilbit 837 ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Whatever...everything in moderation
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I just usually don't see much point in focusing on "educational" toys/videos vs "non educational" cause it seems like babies/kids just learn from EVERYTHING so it's all pretty educational and I never saw the point in spending tons of money on this "special" stuff. My parents never did all that stuff with me and I was like top of my class, so I don't think buying special stuff is that important, unless you just want to. :)
    Anonymous

• i don't think they are going to make my son a genius or anything but they keep him occupied while i'm doing things around the house or showering. i put him in his swing (so i know he's not gonna get into anything he's not supposed to) and put the video on.
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2009