Do you agree with Stephen Colbert?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/252735/october-26-2009/the-word---don-t-ask-don-t-tell

In the mood for some smart funny today??

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Its hard for me to say whether I agree or not. I mean, people that sign a petition are putting their names down on a piece of paper and handing it off to someone they don't know, not voting on a "secret ballot". There is no law about secret petitions. It seems silly to me that someone could argue that their names ought to stay private, when THEY put the names out in the public to begin with. Its no breach of privacy.
    BUT... WIth the stigma around it, this makes a sensitive issue. Its like putting your name out there as a person who practices witchcraft or something, to some people. It could potentionally get dangerous. But, IMO, there is never a gain in rights without first losing the fear of those denying rights. No rights would have come to black americans if a few students hadn't faced spitting and pickets to go to a white school. So these ppl ought to suck it up and stand up proudly for what they believe in, IMO
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:36 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Con't - If they believe in it, they ought to be willing to claim loudly what they believe in, and not hide behind some phony "privacy" policy. They are cutting themselves off at the feet if they keep hiding behind their "fear" of retaliation. I personally think that gay and straight marriage ought to be nixed (except for religious ppl, b/c marriage was a religious ceremony initially and its been skewed badly, like Christmas). There ought to be no tax benefits to "marriage" for either orientation. Instead, there ought to be civil unions for all that provide the tax benefits. Period. Makes everyone happy. Marriage isn't being "desecrated", as the religious folks say, but its still fair. Right?
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2009