Can you crush a prenatal vitamin

I can't swallow pills for anything. With each one of my other pregnancies I had to get natachew the chewable prenatal vitamin. I am now 4 weeks pregnant and was giving prenatal vitamins that again I can't swallow. I am a navy wife and I was told that was the only pill they had there at the pharmacy on base. I can't go to the dr yet based on the way my medical plan works because I need a referral first which I will have to wait for 3 more days.The pills they gave me say Prenatal Plus Iron Tablets. Does anyone know if it is safe to crush up the pill? I'm just worried if my baby will get the nutrients the same way even though I am crushing them up.

tjack3

Asked by tjack3 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have the SAME problem. In the beginning of my pregnancy I crushed my prenatals. Then the taste got to me so the doctor told me I could take flinstones chewables. If you can't crush the pill, I would think it would say so on the instructions. Is there any way to call the pharmacy?
    heatherb8924

Answer by heatherb8924 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• honestly i never took them, the high iron made me ill, my kids are fine, you can go a few weeks with out till ins kicks in, and yes you'll still get the vitamins
    16thmoon

Answer by 16thmoon at 10:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• try cutting them up instead and throw them in a glass of water and drink it all quick
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:51 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• yes you can crush them, the pharmacy should have a pill crusher which makes it easy
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 10:52 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You know what? Flinstone vitamins are pretty close to prenatals. Most OB's will recommend them to you if you are having a lot of nausea with your prenatals. I vote for you to try the chewables...then they won't taste nasty. :-)
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 11:00 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Make sure you take something. Flinstones are fine. and make sure you get your Folic Acid!! Orange juice everyday. That all and you will be fine.
    Cherish050307

Answer by Cherish050307 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well this is my first pregnancy and i was doing pretty good for a week with swallowing them, then i couldn't do it anymore so i bought a pil crusher and put it in my orange juice. I think it works just the same.
    Mommy2Be1218

Answer by Mommy2Be1218 at 11:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2013