What are your thoughts on the media's portrayal of families?

My daughter had an assignment to discuss a show that she watches that shows a family and how it is the same and different than hers. Also, they were to give a general opinion about families they see on tv

What are your thoughts on families on tv? Especially shows that your kids watch

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• We don't watch a lot of tv but the Burger King commercials irk me, what parents is that inept?
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It really depends on what show you are talking about. There is one now that I can think of off the top of my head that depicts a family more true to life, called The Middle. It's hilarious. It can be a little out there, but ya know so if life and kids all have their odd out there quirky moments... so do parents.
    I used to watch the Brady Bunch and we all know what crap that was a far as how true that was, but it was funny and a good escape. My kids and I still watch it on TV Land.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 11:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• A lot of TV shows geared towards kids show the kids to be very smart and the parents to be clueless. The kids usually do something that has been forbidden by the parents and it usually turns out ok and teaches the parents a lesson rather than the other way around. Masculinity is usually played off as only stupid, which sometimes it is but I don't like my kids getting the message that men are just goofballs that should be disrespected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Oct. 27, 2009