Families on television, what are your thoughts?

My daughter was asked in school to write about a show she watched on tv that features a family. What they thought of the family, if they seemed "real" what were the differences and similiarities to her own family...

So what so you ladies think of the media's representation of families and their lives? especially shows that kids watch....

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Reality shows or sitcoms?
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think the families on TV portray a false story of life, that someone wrote. Not everyone can live in a world of make believe and happy endings and not everyone gets to ride off in the sunset. I think Hollywood has put pressure on our children to be like them and puts undue pressue on our children in society. Who can in the real world of average people can live like Hollywood?

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:11 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Reality shows or sitcoms?

Any shows that feature a family (any kind) that kids would watch.

My daughter chose 18 kids and counting (she was watching before she went to school) ...but it made me think of some of her shows, like icarly (no parents) , Drake and Josh, blended family....etc
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:20 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

I think that is definately true , especially (not a family show ) but with shows like My Super Sweet 16...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:22 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Seems as though reality shows exploit families and their children. Seems unfair to the children to have so much pressure on them and strangers surrounding them in their homes. Then, they have to deal with the media and kids at school who may judge them by what they see on tv. If my DD had this assignment, I would encourage her to stay away from the reality shows, I don't want her watching that junk. Whatever happened to family shows with moral fiber like Full House and The Cosby Show? She could write about how not all families are as idealistic as the families on these shows, but at least they are trying to convey a positive message. IDk.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree Kenzie- Kids should not be watching (or participating in) reality shows. There's nothing real about those shows except the exploitation taking place-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• What a good assignment and question! Wow how the world is changing
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 8:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

I thought so too, she is only in 2nd grade, made me sit and RE-EVALUATE all the "kid" shows

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2009