Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I take my child to my parent's house without his consent in the state of Pa, if we are fighting and going to break up?

If I take my child to his grandparents house and it is in the same state and I let him know that is where I am going and he can come see him anytime he wants. If he calls trying to get my child will I be in any legal trouble?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • as long as you have custody and aren't breaking any visitation agreements you're fine.

    Start a notebook and write down everything you tell him and what he says notebooks have saved me a lot of grief in court...just make sure it is all the truth and don't elaborate to make him look worse..

    Answer by bumblebeestingu at 11:04 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • Also remember that until custody is set up I am pretty sure if he take the kids he doesn't have any obligation to bring them back until the custody is set up.

    Answer by PsychMommie at 11:08 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • nope- as long as you are not breaking a custody order. if custody isn't established, possession is 9/10 of the law. you DO have to let him know that the child is alright, and roughly where you are at. as long as you do that, the law can not get involved. if you run, and no one knows where you are, depending on circumstances, they CAN (not necessarily will) issue an amber alert. they generally only reserve that option for when they believe the child is in danger.

    go on, do your thing... and good luck. i just recently went through the custody/divorce issue myself. *sigh* glad its all over now!

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:10 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • do you mean to move in with your parents? you might have to defend that in court one day. also if you don't think that will be your permanent residence for some time to come you may want to reconsider that. but if you need to do it for financial and emotional reasons, PsychMommie is right - he doesn't have to bring the child back. not until it is all in a court agreement. the police can't even help. but you may end up getting locked in to your location if your ex puts a 'moving radius' clause in your agreement. think about your life in 5 years if you can live with that.

    Answer by ny_momof3 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • normally its a 100 mile radius that you can move in. Living with your parents is great youll have extra help. in fact my case worker told me if I wanted to move outta state hit the train b4 the court date, I did just that and I can live where I want, with my daughter who I have full custody of. good luck and dont let him take him unless your with them, he could take off.

    Answer by mememecassie at 11:58 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • Thank you everyone!!! I just wanted to know my parameters before I did anything! My other half can be conniving when he wants to be and I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize my child not being with me!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.