Flying for the first time with dd on Friday...just need some support :)

Just looking for some support! My dd is 5 months and is a great baby, but it's still her first time flying so it's making me nervous. Plus I am TERRIFIED of flying and usually pop a xanax and a few cocktails before flying, but obviously can't do that now as a b/fing mom so I have my own fears to deal with...ugh I hate flying!!! Luckily it's a direct flight :)

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:28 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am also EBF, so, from the nightmare experience I just had, I hope this helps you.... even though you are BF, bring a bottle with pumped milk for the take off, and landing... its a pressure thing... My dd LOVES boob, but wouldn't nurse on the plane! She kept screaming because of her ears! I eventually gave her a bottle to have the sucking action! It was also a combo of excitement of doing something new! If I had brought bottles, I would have had a much better experience! Poor baby ears!! I also checked her carseat as luggage, and carried her in my sleepy wrap. You don't have to though, you can gate check the carseat when you get there, and they bring it to you after the flight! Bring lots of different toys! Baby will also want to people watch! It is so cute! If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I flew with a 6 month old. I put her on to nurse right before take off and landing and both went without much notice by her as she was busy eating. Also bring some good distracting toys, maybe a few new things to keep babies interest if they get antsy. Security was actually really easy and I had her stroller and car seat to get through plus diaper bag- they had a separate line for families and were very helpful, gave me no problems with her liquids (medications, bottles, etc) and then gate checked my stroller so I could have it right back when we landed and didnt have to carry her everywhere. Good luck! Remember that keeping yourself calm will help keep baby calm. Some people will roll their eyes when they see you board the plane but most people have been there and are nice and willing to be helpful and sympathetic to someone travelling with a baby.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009