do i really need to wake my newborn to eat?

the pediatrician says to feed every 2-3 hrs during day and 3-4 hours at night (im doing formula supplemented with pumped breast milk.. im only making like 4oz a day) it kills me to wake him when he is sleeping during the day. he can normally go 2-5 hours during the day if i let him and he is good about waking himself up about every three hours during the night.

anyway, im following their instructions, but im wondering how necessary you guys think it is. BTW there are no weight issues to be concerned about....

AnneWilliams

Asked by AnneWilliams at 11:37 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No - I did this for the first couple of days but found that it was NOT necessary. Sleep is important too! I breastfed so I don't know if supplementing with formula means he needs to eat more often (I doubt it) but let your little angel sleep. He will let you know when he's hungry. I would only wake him if it's been more than 5 hours or so...Good luck and congrats!
    BTW - my dd is 5 months old and she is at a healthy weight as well.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i dont wake up my baby for anything. He's barely 3 weeks old today, so im a new mom. But still, i was told the same thing. I feel bad waking him up for force feed him, what if he's not even hungry?... He lets me know when he's hungry.
    Dazey18

Answer by Dazey18 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I never woke my daughter when she was sleeping to feed unless she slept for 6 hours or more. To me it was a load of crap, I am not going to wake a sleeping newborn just to feed.

But thats just me. I always thought that rule was ridiculous.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:42 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• DON'T WAKE HER UP! My ped told me never to wake her to eat, she will wake up when she is ready. Now, if she has a health reason for needing to eat every 2 hours or whatever, or she is losing weight, then I would rethink it. But as long as she is gaining just fine, don't do it! Good luck and congrats on the new baby!!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It depends on why your doc is suggesting this. My daughter was not gaining weight and was sleeping through feeds. So we supplimented and woke to feed. After a two weeks and weight gain up to reasonable amounts, the doc allowed us to back off the formula and let her dictate feedings while still monitoring her wieght. Since you say no weight issues, I'd figure out exactly why the doc recommends this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Unles your baby is underweight, don't wake for food, sleep is just as nutrituious!

Answer by older at 11:53 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i know you didn't ask this but since you mentioned supply problems, you should be aware that supplementing will only make your supply lower. it's all supply and demand.
    Anonymous

• If your baby was born drugged, he will not wake for hunger for the first 4-6 weeks of his life, which as you can imagine is a tremendously dangerous thing.

If your baby was born without drugs (including epidural), it is not necessary to wake a normal, healthy baby who otherwise shows all the signs of getting sufficient food.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I woke my son up to eat for the first few days because he lost 11ozs. before we left the hospital (less then 48 hours) and he had a touch of jaundice. Once he got back up to his birth weight I let him sleep until he was ready to wake up. He nurses so much better when he wakes up on his own to eat. If I wake him up I have to fight to keep him awake. He's 6 weeks old now and I only wake him up to nurse if we're going somewhere because I know he'll wake up and want to eat as soon as we get in the van. lol
    _Momof3_

Answer by _Momof3_ at 2:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter was jaundiced when we brought her home and for about the first week. I woke her every 1.5 hours during the day and 2 hours at night to nurse her to help get the bilirubin flushed out of her system. This also helped relieve some pressure off my breasts. LOL! She had a paddle like light therapy and once she was off of that then I backed off and pretty much just fed her when she was hungry.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009