will i ever stop leaking?

it seems like it has been forever since i stopped nursing and still there is white milk that comes out of my breasts! i stopped on october 7th. i would like to not have to wear a bra to bed or those nursing pads. it is so uncomfortable. i dont have the engorged feeling anymore and my girls have gone down to the size before i got pregnant...even though i do miss being a size C. please help! when will it end?

NEWmommy8202009

Asked by NEWmommy8202009 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Health

• I produced milk for more than a year after my daughter weaned. You may want to consider donating to a milkbank.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I went to the doctor to try to get my milk back after starting to wean when I had second thoughts, but when I told the nurse I was there about my milk she asked me if I was trying to stop it so there must be some sort of medicine they can prescribe to help dry up that milk after nursing. Maybe that would help. I have heard it can take a few months at least for the milk to completely dry up on its own.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• They used to prescribe meds for it off label of what the med was really for and they no longer do that as far as I know. If you nursed at all then it will likely take more then a few months to dry up. The rule of thumb my doctor gave me was it will take half as long to dry up as you nursed for so if you nursed for 2 years (as is recommended by the WHO and AAP) then it will take 1 year to totally dry up. That does not mean you will be contantly leaking that whole time. I myself am still nursing a 28 month old and quit leaking when she was about 9 months old (that is when I stopped using nursing pads). Also if you wean slowly and not just abruptly stop then you can avoid the engorgement and dripping leaking breasts.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2009