Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas to help a social development delay in a 4 year old boy?

My son is 4 and was attending preschool until 2 weeks ago when he was asked to leave due to the fact that he is to difficult for them to handle without it being 1 on1. He has been evaluated by DART and they say he is behind socially. Well if he cant go to preschool how am I supposed to help my son?

Answer Question

Asked by MarthaCrocker at 11:54 AM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • speech classes . my son is 3 and does not talk in sentences im tryn to get him help with speech

    Answer by ashley_nick30 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • What does the pediatrician say? What about the developmental pediatrician? Have you called the school district's special education department and voiced your concerns? Here, they can't kick kids out, the district has to evaluate them and provide any services needed to help them with developmental delays as soon as an IEP is worked up. Personally, if your school system is going to kick a kid out of preschool with special needs, it's time to move to a new district.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • The ped has nothing to say he is very well behaved when we see him so there realy isnt an issue as far as he is concerned. My son had an issue he was tongue tied, well he had surgery, now his speach has greatly improved. But he was attending a private pre school and the teachers noticed that he had an issue dealing with peers. So they suggested having DART evaluate him, I think he is just spoiled rotten ( not laughing about it either) Dart did their eval. and are only offering 60 min. a week and The pre sch. I had him in can not hanndle him 1 on 1 so he needs another school, well its October and they are all full. Even the over flow schools are full, but if DART gives him more time a week, 2-3-4 days, then they have to enroll him and the over flow school has to take him. I cant get the DART counclor to call me back, Ive left messages and I have to find a way to help him in the meen time.Its a social thing no kids live around u

    Answer by MarthaCrocker at 1:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • Cont. us. The ones that do are older or very young. He needs to learn how to be social. I just need some ideas of ways to get him interacting with kids his own age? The school district has a very good special ed depart. My 15 year old daughter is in the advanced education classes. Its just so frustrating because he cant get in anyware due to the class sizes.

    Answer by MarthaCrocker at 1:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

  • I'd look for a local playgroup. Churches and other community orgs often have them or you can probably find one via Yahoo groups. I found one via our local Newcomers and Neighbors group.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.