eczema

my 5 month old has eczema and he wakes up crying and scratching every night what an soothe his itching

MISSIEMOM0F2

Asked by MISSIEMOM0F2 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Health

• We bought baby Eucerin Aquafore for our son. It is on his feet. Same thing, he couldn't sleep at times. Also got a prescription from his pediatrician for when it is really bad, as well as infant benadryl when he won't stop itching it, which we rarely have had to use. But then my hubby bought this Triple Paste Medicated Ointment for diaper rash, but it works well on the rash. Rub it on and put socks on him. Good luck.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Perhaps less cow's milk in his diet? Eczema is often a symptom of a body's inability to deal with the large protein molecule in milk.

If he's breastfeeding, you may have to remove dairy from your diet to improve it, but it also gives you a lovely treatment: breastmilk is an excellent skin softener and will soothe this.

An oatmeal bath is delightfully soothing... just put 1/4c of plain rolled or quick oats into a sock you plan to throw out (you could clean it, but I wouldn't bother), toss it into the tub and fill. You can use the sock as a wash cloth, too.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Use Aveeno Baby Cream and then lanolin. Lanolin is marketed towards breastfeeding moms but it seems to keep enough moisture on the area so my son doesn't scratch near as much. My son and I both have it. You can find both products at Walmart.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Ditto on eliminating dairy. Keep baths short, infrequent and cool. Put coconut oil on the affected areas.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009