eczema

my 5month old eczema real bad every night he wakes u screaming and scratching ive tried everything do anyone know of anything that will soothe his itching.

MISSIEMOM0F2

Asked by MISSIEMOM0F2 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My baby had it and i used ucerin. I greased him all up all the time. It went away. He did look really greasy all the time but i didnt care. Now he is fine. Use ALOT of ucerin ALL the time.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I use Aveeno Baby Cream. Then I put hospital grade lanolin on that. My son and I both have it. That is the only treatment that keeps it at bay. I do have to use a prescription cream when it gets super bad, but you can find the lotion and the lanolin at Walmart in the baby section. The lanolin is marketed towards breastfeeding moms but it's great for eczema as it doesn't get soaked up into the skin. Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter had pretty severe eczema for several months last winter. We used Vaseline all over her body twice a day- much less expensive than Eucerin and very pure- to try to keep her skin hydrated. We used a prescription cream for really bad flare ups, and Benadryl at night to help her sleep and relieve the discomfort (check with your pediatrician for dosage). We tried a lot of things, like bathing only once every few days, to then bathing daily and what worked for us was a bath every night with only luke warm water, then baby oil on her skin while still in the bath, then Vaseline after the bath. The trick is keeping the skin as moisturized as possible. Some eczema can be brought on by allergies. I have a feeling that the dairy I was eating while nursing her may have been part of the reason for her eczema so checking what you are eating or what is in her formula may help too.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yeah,anything with lanolin in it is excellent.We use this wal-mart brand stuff,and I love it for my son's eczema
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I use Medela Advanced Nipple Care Lanolin. It has beta glucan in it, which helps the skin heal and also kills bacteria, preventing infection of areas that are scratched raw. It's about $10 at Target, but it lasts a very long time because it doesn't take much.

My baby started with excema at this time of year last year--due to allergies and dry air.

Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Just read an article on WedMD about using 1/4 cup bleach (yes bleach) in a bath twice a week. The study showed a five times greater chance of clearing it up on kids with moderate to severe eczema. Worth a shot! I am going to talk to his doc soon about it.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Could be a food allergy or intolerance to either cow's milk protein or soy protein in the formula (or that you are consuming if breastfeeding). If he's on formula, he may need to switch to one that is amino acid-based and hypoallergenic. If you are breastfeeding, you may need to change his diet.

Does your child have any GI symptoms in addition to his eczema? Even if not, if he hasn't been seen by a pediatric allergist, you may want to consider making an appointment with one just to be sure this isn't the problem.
    Anonymous

• Agree with above. Ask for a food panel rast test for IgE & IgG to rule out a food cause. Soak in Dead Sea Salts and follow with Shea butter. Avoid mineral oil and isopropyl alcohol which can cause it to worsen.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2009