Does anyone know how long a septic system lasts?

Just curious. How long does a septic system last? Does it matter if only 2 people uses it? The climate? Type of soil? Like Clay soil over sandy? Just wondering how to find out this answer.

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 12:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Usually they last for a very very long time.......the soil and such shouldnt matter too much, as long as the septic was properly installed. You can buy RidX at any dollar store or walmart and use it once a month to help break down things in the septic which will help it last longer, follow the directions on the box. Our septic has been here for over 25 yrs and only one time has it ever had to be pumped out
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You should pump at least once per year. You could go longer but why tempt it. Use Rid Septic, it helps alot. I lived in a house where the landlord NEVER pumped. When I moved in the tank was backflowing into the house. The Health Department came out and deemed it in-habitable for humans. The truck came out to pump and the tank had actually burst under ground so then we had a sink hole for a year. Rent was cheap and there was a well so we didn't use the running water except to shower. I moved as soon as I could!
    Anonymous

• Also try to never use drain cleaner. It goes into your septic tank and kills the bacteria that it needs to keep the system running. You also need to try avoid running any heavy equipment over the leech bed. It can cause the system to crack and fall in on itself. The tank itself can last forever but it's the leech bed that gets destroyed more often due to heavy things run over it. Especially if the ground is soft.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My mom's had hers for 30 years and never even had to have it pumped. The one timed they opened it it was clean as a whistle. Mine on the other hand is 10 years old and we've had to have it cleaned 3x's now. Funny, mom and I live on the same property.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 AM on Nov. 1, 2009