How is the downslide of the economy affecting you?

Wondering how this crap economy is affecting everyone, and what everyone is doing to keep their head above water.
I can't seem to find a job, so we're living off of one income that's $10/hr and after child support comes out of my SOs check along with taxes, it's not enough to pay the bills and rent.
Yesterday our heat/electric was shut off for 4+ hours until I could talk to my father, who then gave me a lecture about not having a job. We're having to borrow money off of SOs parents to get by during the month.
So is it affecting anyone else, and what are you doing to get by?

LovelyDisaster

Asked by LovelyDisaster at 12:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Lets see where to begin? Our house will be forclosed on within 60 days, we don't qualify for ANY loan modification programs (Obama's or otherwise) we don't qualify for PA as I make $3 more than the gross cap per month. We are -$467.00 in our checking account, ALL creditors are calling 3-5 times per day wanting money we don't have. Both my husband & I have full time jobs with benefits but can't add our children to the company insurance cuz then we wouldn't have any money. (Costs about $300 per child per month- we have 2) We have been fortunate for family as they have bought my groceries for the last three weeks. I look daily for a second job, but there are none-unless you are spanish speaking. (At least where I live)
    MY husband and myself worked up until last summer with the construction industry. He for about 10 years and me for 6. Contd...
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Contd....When we were let go we were forced to get other jobs. I found one pretty quick-but for $6.50 less per hour. It took my DH about 6 months to find one and his is $15 less per hour. So we are REALLY trying to keep positive and remember that nothing is handed to you that you can't handle. Good luck to you and yours!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Why are the two of you paying for internet?
    Anonymous

• It is really not affecting me at all. I have always lived within my means, don't owe anyone anything, and what I can't buy with cash, I just won't. My husband is a criminal defense attorney who has been self employed all his life saving away for a rainy day, like now. His practice is slower now that in other years but we still live the same style of life we have always lived. Hoping your situation gets better!

Answer by older at 12:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I'm in school and have to have the internet to do my school work. Though I go to class on campus, the tests for all the classes, and all the assignments for one of them are all online. I am not able to go to school early because I have to be to school at 6, my SO (who works and uses our only car to get there) doesn't get home until 4:15, unless he can convince his boss to let him work over. The school is far away and I have to leave at 5 to get there by 6.
    So yea, we have to have internet or else I can't get schoolwork done. We have the cheapest internet there is at the moment since we can't afford the higher speed one.
    LovelyDisaster

Answer by LovelyDisaster at 12:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I don't pay for internet. I am at work!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I really haven't noticed much of a difference. The area I live in is still booming, dh has a secure job, and there wasn't a huge slide in real estate prices. I don't have credit card debt, and I always have shopped sales - I LOVE a bargain!

Answer by missanc at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• As a matter of fact, I don't have cable, full coverage insurance on any vehicle, medical insurance for my kids, I haven't bought anything new in a year, don't go get my hair done or my nails. I pretty much have decided to live as a hermit until things pick up.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• missanc... Where you do live so I can move there lol.
    You can't get a job here unless you have superb employment history (I've been unemployed for over a year because I wanted to stay home with my son, and then I started school), know another language (english, english, and english is all I know... though I can count 1-10 and say HI in Spanish), or have some kind of education (why I'm going to college... a high school diploma is like a kindergarten certificate anymore).
    LovelyDisaster

Answer by LovelyDisaster at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Using the Internet to post on CM...at work? Yikes....we could get fired for that where I worked before I retired. I would be careful.....it is using the company and spending their money for your entertainment!!!!
    Anonymous