Do you think grandmothers are horrible selfish people if they are not on call babysitters?

If your child's grandmother didn't drop what she was doing (grocery shopping) ONE TIME to come and babysit for you, would you start ignoring her and not allow her to see your child? Not even on holiday? There is this post from last night from this "mother" say all of this. I think it's ridiculous and shameful. I will post the link below. What are your opinions on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh man, don't have time to read the orignal post, but I've seen posts like this before. These mothers who treat their own mothers this way should be ashamed. They are spoiled women who feel entitled to whatever they want. They are inconsiderate and should walk a mile in my shoes....my mom died when my daughter was 2 and my son was 4 months, the time she had with them she was very sick, way too sick to ever care for them herself. I would give the world just to have my mom back for one day so she could know my children, and not just to dump them on her so I can do as I please. Women like the one you talk about seriously needs a dose of reality. And tell me how keeping the grandmother away from the kids is good for the kids??? What a selfish woman. Now I'm ticked. lol.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Anonymous

• I think your kid isn't their responsibility. If they can babysit.... well that's great. If they are busy, that's no reason to get mad especially if you didn't arrange things ahead of time.
    My mom gets mad at me if I won't watch my sister.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No they have a life too! I'm sure most try to be there as much as they can. but in some situations they just can't. Some women are just so used to getting their way and what they want that they could care less about anyone else.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No. I chose to have the child, not Grandma. She raised her kids. Grandma has a life too.
    Anonymous

• I know Gramsmom, and you'd be much more ticked if you had read the entire post. This woman is ridiculously selfish. It is just horrible. Grandparents are not meant to be babysitters. My daughter's grandparents (in laws) take her about 2 Friday nights a month to spend the night, but not FOR ME. They do it to spend time with her. I don't ever EXPECT them to watch her for me. I got pregnant, I had a baby . . . it's MY RESPONSIBILITY! My parents live in Florida, far from Pennsylvania. According to her, I should be mad that they dont fly up here on a regular basis to see her. She makes me sick and her selfishness is remarkable.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I read the whole post from that Link and ....WOW....is that Mom selfish and self centered and demanding!!! I can't believe she would not even answer the door when the grandma came.
    SHe needs an attitude adjustment! Unbeliveable . I am sure glad I don't have to deal with that kind of high maintenance behavior from my daughters and daughter-in-laws. Ohhhh,man! Maybe that is why her SO, the kid's father, moved away. To get away from her!!!! I wouldn't blame him. LOL! It is nice if Grandmas want to babysit but it doesn't always happen and nobody should expect it or get ticked off if they won't babysit.
    Anonymous

• My Mom passed away almost 10 years ago, and I would give anything to have her here to just spend a few hours with her grandchildren... And my MIL lives 2000 miles away, so she doesn't get much time with them either. So I think those of you who are fortunate enough to have family close and can spend even a short amount of time with your children should be thankful... Like I said I would give anything for just a short time with my Mom and our children. She would be so proud...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• One more thing, it's not the Grandparents job to track down the Grandkids. It sounds like to me the Grandma made an effort, but you can only get so far if the other party makes it impossible for her to see them... Wow, it breaks my heart for the children... Our kids would love to have a grandma!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I don't think ANYONE should be expected to drop their plans to babysit someone's child, even a regular babysitter. People have lives and make plans outside of what a parent may need to do. They can't be expected to sit by the phone in case their services are needed. The behavior you described is completely childish. Sounds like the horrible selfish person is the parent.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009