Any Latina woman around? question about teaching my daughters Spanish

I dont speak it around my kids because they dont understand it and because my husband is white. His dad knows spanish very well because of the people he used to work with. My mom is from Argentina and my dad is Mexican. Anyways, my accent is from Argentina but thats not the point. I would like to get them to understand and speak it but im having a hard time because my oldest just mocks me and laughs lol. she cant say what i say. Is there anything i can do like flash cards or something i can buy?

aeroslove

Asked by aeroslove at 12:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm Puerto Rican and my husband is Italian. He doesn't speak a speck of Spanish! (okay, all he knows is "Que pasa"? LOL. But I'm trying to speak only spanish to my children now. Usually I say something to them in Spanish first then repeat it in english. My oldest is 9 and he does the same thing as your daughters does, laughs and mocks me...but don't let that fool you, they are learing as well. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think the best way, would be for their father to continue speaking to them and English and for you to do your best to speak to them in spanish ALL THE TIME. Immersion is the best way to learn. I am white and my husband is Panamanian, but we both speak spanish and we want our daughter to be fluent in Spanish. Flash cards would help with seeing the words that they are saying. Also, if they are having trouble with their rr's. I read once that saying ladder ladder ladder ladder over and over can help someone to learn to roll their rr's .

Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think at 5 and 3 your kids are a little too young for flashcards to be very beneficial - that will only help them learn to read and write Spanish, not to speak it. The only way for them to learn is to hear Spanish spoken in a way they understand - this is called comprehensible input - and for them to interact in Spanish. BUT - they won't speak it until they've learned some of it, so don't worry about them not saying anything in Spanish yet. By all means, speak Spanish to them! The more the better; the earlier the better. Say something in Spanish and then in English, like pp suggested; or say something in Spanish along with a gesture or action that makes your meaning clear ("Comelo" while you hold a spoonful of food to their mouth, for example; or "La manito... la otra manito..." while you hold up their jacket for them to put their hands in the sleeves). Keep doing this, and do not pressure them to speak before they are ready
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• just keep talking to him in spanish, thats how i learned, my parents only spoke spanish to us while the rest of the world spoke to us in english and my siblings and i only spoke english to each other . we were never confused and now speak fluent spanish.
    Anonymous

• OP Here, My mom spoke to me in English. My Grandma/Grandpa and Great Grandma spoke to me in spanish from the start. I never did with my kids or with my husband. While i was getting older i stopped speaking spanish and i now studder alot or forget some words so i get very very frustrated when i speak spanish to my Grandparents. I have to tell my mom what i need to ask or say and then she tells them. This is only when i want long conversations and stuff.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 1:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009