Sacrifices we make for our children...

For as long as I could remember, my mom was always told me about how much she's sacrificed for the four of us. By sacrifices, she meant she couldn't party until I was old enough to babysit my brothers and sister. My sob story aside, I don't know what the hell she was talking about! Lol my family is the best thing to ever happen to me. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything because I love spending time with them. I know and understand that we all need our "me time" but I get that from reading a book or going to get my hair done. I don't need to go to a bar and party to have a good time, and I don't resent my children for me not being able to if I wanted to. In a nutshell, my mom sucks at life lol.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 12:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• LOL! Your mom wasn't sacrificing anything, that was just her being selfish! IMO!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree I don't resent my kids at all. If you feel like you missing something you shouldnt have had kids. It's wrong of your mom to say that. she had kids and 4 at that. I love my kids and I dont resent them. Clubbin isnt all its made to be anyways. You can dance and sing with your kids and its much more fun. Actually i got a trophy for singing whitney houston! I couldnt get that at a club! (i sing horribly) they love it though :)
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 12:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You are probably unaware of all the sacrafices she made for her kids while you were growing up. IT probably isn't all about the partying, my mom sacrificed a lot for me in soooo many ways, and your mom probably did too, why don't you sit and talk with her about what all she did and sacrificed for you guys. I have sacrificed a hot body that I used to have to bear my wonderful babies, privacy, sleep, and they are worth it, but I know their will be times when I'll have to sacrifice god know's what to make my kids happy, that's one thing about being a mom.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My mom had me at 14 my brother when she was 16 and my twin sister when she was 18. Every day we were with her she let us know how we ruined her life and kept her from doing what she wanted. At 12 I told my dad I could not live with my mom anymore I hated living with someone who hated me. He got custody of us all. He was a young father but was a good father. My mom then whined and moaned about how rotten he was from taking her babies. Woe was her all the time. She is still that way. Having children so young stunted her growth as a person. I have not spoken to my mom in 10 years and it has been great. Finally got my self esteem back and work hard to be a great mom not a martyr mom.
    Anonymous

• Im half tempted to print this off and stick it on my upstairs neighbors door. hahaha. She always asks me to babysit so she can go out. when i say "no...too much homework", shes like "well i wana go out, blah blah blah...me me me" Me on the otehr hand I enjoy staying home. my kids enjoy it too. they sit around and ask questions about my homework and i explain to them the best i can. :) My mom had me when she was 19 and gives me the "worthless " and "doggie poo on the steps" treatment. its even worse now that im in school trying to make something of myself (she says its not fair to her. what?! l told her "yer only 43 you can stil go to school") I left home when i was 15 cuz of her and had my first kid when i was 18 my 2nd at 20. I love my kids, the only thing i sacrafice for them is study time.
    crazyfunmom

Answer by crazyfunmom at 2:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i make every sacerfice for my 16month old. id rather buy her somthing then get myself stuuf,even if its somthing i need.im afraid to leave her with anyone to long,i think i have to sleep with her every night(she sleeps in our bed).and im always worring,its exaushting,and when she needs something it seems like no one else knows what she wants but me.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I have gladly given up my flat tummy, my perky boobs, romance, sleeping all night, relaxing vacations, prime time tv, and a lot of friend time, but I chose to have them. They didn't ask me to be their mom, but I wouldn't give it up for anything!!!!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 2:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• These are all wonderful answers! thank you everyone for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it! I understand the usual sacrifices we make for our children. Time, our bodies, and sometimes even our sanity! lol But what my point is, is that I feel like they've enriched my life so much, I have gained more than I sacrifice for them. I wish my mom could've felt this way towards me, but what's done is done I guess. It'll be almost 3 months that I haven't spoken to her because she ran a bill up in my name and didn't pay it. I'm in the military and she's in IL so she didn't think I would find out. That wasn't the first time she burned me, but it will be the last. Ah sorry, minor vent there, but seriously, thank you all!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Its not a sacrifice.....if you didn't want kids you shouldn't of had sex.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 3:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Istrickland, was that directed towards me or my mom? lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:50 AM on Oct. 30, 2009