Why do mothers in The United States don't breastfeed their babies?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Because our culture sees breastfeeding as shameful and something to be hidden. Plus formula companies send out so many free samples when you are pregnant! I kid you not, a week after finding out I was pregnant I received 2 HUGE containers of formula in the mail. How in the world did they know I was pregnant? Creepy!
    JasonsMom2007

Answer by JasonsMom2007 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Some do, some don't...
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If you are able to then it's really good for the baby, it helps build their immune system, and gives them nutrients that formula can't. But if you aren't able to then that's ok too, you can still have a healthy child.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think it's because more mothers in the states work outside the home. It's hard to breastfeed from work.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I was a member of a church where 99% of the moms breastfed their babies. Don't generalize. Some do and some don't. Some can't and some won't. What difference does it make anyway?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Because the companies that make formula are big and powerful and have influenced our culture deeply through their marketing. They have convinced us that it is easier to formula-feed.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We have options!

Answer by older at 1:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Because we have WIC.
    Anonymous

• Felipesmom, said it for me!
    Anonymous

• I know allot of moms in US that breast feed. I breast fed my 11 yr until she was 6 months ( when she got her first teeth), My 6 yr old was always hungry & breastfeeding wasn't enough for her so she got fed until 4 months old, My 2 yr old was very jaundice & the nurses kept giving her the bottle so she refused my breast milk I tried until she was two weeks, but failed. My son 4 months old is bottle fed because I work & have three other kids, but he was breast fed until two weeks. I knew a mom that breast fed until her baby was 15 months here in the US.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2009