"Walmart Economics," is crippling the country. Do you agree or disagree? How would you fix the problem.

We have become rich in cheap "made in China" goods sold to us by corporations such as Walmart. American manufacturers, not being able to compete with China's cheap labor have moved their jobs overseas. Our government compounds the problem with high corporate taxes and changing regulations. The government then tries to compensate by implementing more social programs. These programs give the poor a small amount of money that they in turn spend in stores (like Walmart) where they will get the most for their money.

The result: our country is hemorrhaging jobs and PA is growing at an alarming rate.

Thank you sisteract for inspring the question!

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 1:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I hate our govt. and that all of our resources and jobs are going over to China it's F'd up!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree completely but I do NOT know how to fix it.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Anonymous

• When I go to grocery shop at Walmart, I see all the premium, classic name brand stuff being replaced by Walmart's own brand of foods!

Pretty soon, name brand stuff like Oreo, Tyson, etc.,. will be run out of business by Walmart.

There goes consumer choice and brands that have been around for a hundred years will be gone!

Walmart is big enough now that they can and will do it.
    They have substitutes for almost everything on their shelves!
    They are becoming a monopoly and therefore we need government intervention.
    I'm a capitalist, but geesh, Walmart is a different story.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• yep- No special interests in the form of tax breaks for those companies that take their tax dollars to other countries, which provide cheap labor and require low or NO business tax levied to the companies doing such business.

The companies left behind in the US are left to contend with a higher tax burden and higher American wages and HCB- they can not compete. guess who gets eliminated in that equation? Yes, the workers.

Corp tax fraud is so caustic to all concerned: decrease in tax revenue (we're not talking $$ and cents, folks-BIG $$), job and benefit losses in the US, exploitation of foreign labor- woman, children, wages- trade imbalance- cheap crap coming in, as opposed to export and bigger debt-

The politicians like those Corp campaign contributions just a little too much for my liking-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Walmart is close to a Monopoly.
    Guess what happens to choice, supply, quality and price when WM is the ONLY choice?
    There's your "ISM" for the day.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• What are you talking about?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Maybe other businesses should try to compete with Wal-Mart prices. That's probably why Wal-Mart supports socialized medicine though, because this kind of government we have now is one forcing the broke people through their doors. Walmart was created as a way for people who aren't rich to still be able to have nice things--honestly, I am a big WalMart shopper. I can't NOT shop there on principle because of the fact that I am BROKE and nowhere else has better prices. i guess that must be your point though...there's really nothing to be done except the government getting control of their spending...if we really saw where our tax dollars were going...well...I just hate to think what could happen. Wouldn't be pretty.
    Anonymous

• Think Grace think.
    What kind of government/structure exists where there is ONLY 1 choice.
    I know YOU know the words, as they are posted to this forum every day.
    Think Cuba, think China-
    Think isms and ists
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• mustbeGrace... why are you even shopping at Wal-Mart then?! I will never, ever step foot into one of those stores. I did once or twice to compare prices and I was unimpressed. I can get cheaper, name brand stuff at King Soopers for groceries. What Wal-Mart does to the economy and the environment is atrocious. There are other options in most places so I wish people would use those options instead of Wal-Mart. They've brain washed people. I don't know what the solution is though to the Wal-Mart problem. I wish I did...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009