Should baby formula be sold by prescription only?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It, absolutely, should only be given out via prescription. Formula is a MEDICAL INTERVENTION! Anyone who thinks that it is a "choice" for mom to make isn't thinking of their child first and usually this is an unfortunate trend that continues through life. If we could make more mothers realize that formula is a medical intervention and not a choice baby would intentionally choose then the program would be a success.  It also would allow A LOT more money to be put back into the system for nutritious meals for more people.  It is so sad the amount of misinformed and uncaring mothers who intentionally choose formula and the thought that it is all put in place by the government and our tax money is sickening. 

Anonymous

• BS!!!!!!!!!! Be for real! This is a free country lady if you don't like it get the heck out of it!
    Anonymous

• You are gonna get a whole lotta answers, but I think YES. Bash away, I wish I could have nursed my oldest but didn't have a clue what I was doing and didn't know how to find the support that I received with my youngest. Will it ever happen, NO....

I think if nothing, doctors need to stop relying on formula for a peanut baby and instead help the nursing mother find resources and help to keep nursing, not just say supplement or switch.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• wtf? can you even go further with that question?
    Anonymous

• Is a product made by pharmaceutical companies. But I don't understand your question....
    Anonymous

• ABSOFRIGGINLUTELY!!!!

(now all you anons have fun bashing your right to inadequacy- formula is for ONE purpose only- to save lives. not as a convenience. least i have the "balls" to stand up for whats right- proper nourishment is a baby's birth rite!)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• MamaRoberst: Your honesty is greatly appreciated.

Formula was introduced after the second not to replace mom but to supplement.
    Anonymous

• Obby,

blowing kisses

Anonymous

• I breastfed and formula fed, I had to switch or my baby would had starved. Quit discmriminating people, why does this have to be an argument on here everyday!?!?!?!?!?!? It doesn't make any mom better or their kids better for that fact, this is petty BS and there is more to worry about in life than how our babies get fed, as long as they are fed and healthy!

Anonymous

• no formula feeding is still feeding your baby, just in a diferent way. just as its our right to abortions its our right to formula feed.i have no shame in saying my frist baby was formula fed b/c i was so young and couldnt get it. my second was formula fed only have 5 months of age when i got very il and my milk dried up. with this pregnancy i wil be breast feeding as long AS POSSIBLE. BUT IF I NEED TO I WILL FORMULA FED.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2009