I am flying to Vegas for the first time in a few months with my 5 yr old. I need alot of help here

Can my son fly for free?
How do I find the best deal?
I will be staying with my sister and won't need a car so all I need to know are the in's and out's of flying, airports, tickets, baggage just eveything! lol

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Travel

• 5 years or 5 months. He can fly for free if he is under 24 months.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I like travelocity for travel deals, if you are a little bit flexible on the dates price line might be able to get you a deal. Tuesday and Thursday flight days are more likely to get you a better deal. I would have a new or a recently rediscovered toy for every hour during the flight. Toys that we are taking one our flight our Wonder color paper and markers, Doodle boards, Leapster (with headphones), DVD player (with headphones), I am going to try and find a few other toys that have head phones jacks as well. If you son is 5 years old then he will need an FAA approved car seat and a ticket. Strollers are not counted as baggage with most airlines. There are quite a few travel savvy moms on this sight that will have more tips. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask for help on the flight.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Even if he is 5 yrs old he will need his booster seat? looks like I need to go check out the tags
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Actually there are no booseter seats that can be used on flights and you do not need a car seat. The reason for no booster seats is because they only have lap belts and booster seats are supposed to be used with a shoulder belt. He would have to have his own seat but he is not actually required to have a car seat. It might be safer for turbulence but that is a personal choice, he can just as easily be put in the seat and strapped in as anyone else is.
    Anonymous

• If he will sit and watch movies that is awesome because it is something that can keep their attention for quite awhile. The biggest problem with them is that they do not always last the duration of the flight because of their limited battery. So make sure that you have other things to keep him busy. I think that snacks are a must. They do not provide any food for you and when you get to lay overs everything is so expensive and you are usually in a hurry so pack some snacks. Also bring some kind of treat maybe something that he does not get often as a treat for good behavior or if you really just need a savior. Good luck and you will be fine.
    Anonymous

• Usually I go looking for tickets at a milliong different site and always wind up at Travelocity which is what someone suggested earlier. Try to be flexible on dates and time and sometime even locations. It fly out of Seattle a lot but Portland is about 2 hours farther but if I can save over $100 a ticket for 5 people it is worth it so check different parameters. I have never got a good deal at Price line(the one where you are supposed to put in your own ticket prices) it takes forever and it always comes back at more than the other sites are advertising. There are a coupld of different sites like Kayak and Travelzoo where you can put in you destinations and dates and search a few different sites. It is worth a try. Flyin with one little one is not that hard, you will be okay and figure it all out as you go. It is a good time to buy tickets because they are a little bit cheaper. Have a great trip.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009