My son's head is off the charts. He is 74% height 53% weight and his head is a over 100%

So he had a cat scan done and it came back as no water on the brain and everything fine. he is on task with his development he is a happy healthy baby. I just thought he has a big head so he has a big brain. The Dr. is concerned she wants him back in 6 weeks. He does wear a sizes 3t 4t in hat size from children place. I am worried now because she is worried. I asked what it could be and she didnt tell me. She said we can just watch it. Does anyone have clue what it could be???

Mrs.Oriaku

Asked by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Ask her again and again until you get an answer---my youngest dd went through that w/her head---only her head though the rest was normal...she had ct scans and everything turned out fine, her head just grew faster then the rest and now shes caught up, my mom says mine did the same thing----Not saying there is nothing wrong but it could be noting...Call the Dr. and don't stop until you answers.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• His head is 20 CM
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I think he is cute with his big head! I think he is fine. He is my baby and he is PERFECT. They did a cat scan and it was fine. I hope he is ok. I was thinking maybe he has giant head or something. I was freaking out.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Chances are his body will grow in time to catch up to his head.. My nephew had a huge head and I was very scared something was wrong, it was about the size of an adults but on a baby. Turned out nothing wrong, now he is 17 and his head matches his body.. Just do the follow ups and ask your Dr and keep asking until they give you something. They might not want to get you all worked up over nothing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• my dd has a big head too not off the charts big but still..she is fine.. just a big head for her big brain lol ..im sure ur son will be fine..my friend had the same thing happen to her with her son and they had ct scans all the time and the docs cldnt find nything wrong with him ..he was a lil slower devlopmently like with holding his head up things like that..and now hes perfectly healthy..as bubble said just call the doc back and get a clear cut answer..good luck im sure ur son is fine
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It is not possible to be 'over 100%' on a percentile chart... out of 100 kids, your child has the largest head --the 100th, in fact. Since there aren't 105 kids on the scale, there is not way to be 106.

Percentile charts are misleading, not the least because they're not made up of a wide range of racial backgrounds, which means there is some discepancy between 'apparently normal' and 'actually normal.'

No child should *ever* be at the same position on the charts on all three measures. There is nothing 'better' about being the 50th percentile than the 90th or the 3rd. No child stays at the same point on the charts, nor should they.

So, there is every possibility that there is no problem at all. Does his dad have a big head? A grandparent? You?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter also has a very large head. It is way off the growth chart curve. The doctor actually remeasured it to make sure- because it is huge. But I also pointed out that she comes by it naturally. I have a big head- women's has don't usually fit me. My husband's head is also large and my Dad;s head is huge- He can't even fit most men's hats. My older daughter also has a relatively large head. Once the doctor had those facts and could see that she is developmentaly fine- he no longer worries about it. THey want to watch it to make sure he does have fluid on the brain or something else- but he really could just have abig head. If he seems happy and active- I wouldn't worry too much!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• A large brain can be a sign of mental illness and retardation. The head size would clue doctors in that it's possible your child has a large brain and could have problems. That is not always so.

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/infant-symptoms/large-head-desc.htm

http://homepage.mac.com/fmontiel/HeadCircumference.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003305.htm
    Anonymous

• Don't worry too much, mama. Sometimes doctors freak you out for nothing. This happened to my co-worker's baby. He had a HUGE head. lol But it was all fine. He'll eventually grow into it, but there's nothing actually wrong with him.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 4:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• He seems fine. I have 4 other children one of them is a little delayed and Julian my big head baby seems fine. He doesnt seem behind in anything. I just was worried. His head was off the chart and its been like that. Maybe he just has a big huge brain:-0 thanks everyone
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009