My baby just turn 1yr old Is it time for potty training?

Hey am a first time mother and my baby just turn 1yr old on friday he already walks, you think I should start potty training or is too soon??

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 1:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You need to wait until he starts showing signs that he's ready.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 1:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• No toooo soon! Why are moms all of a sudden trying to rush everything. I always heard around 2 or by 2, I mean how can a 1 year old really let you know they are ready to potty train????????
    Anonymous

• Does he know when he is wet or poopy? Can he tell you that he needs changed? Is he showing signs that he is interested in sitting on the potty? If none apply, then no, he is not ready...The average age for potty training is 2-3 for a girl and 4-5 for a boy...don't be upset if it takes longer than what CMommers tell you...some say that they can have them trained by 12 months but its not the average
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• introduce it and see how he does. It is really early but it depends on your baby. I had my daughter trained at 15 months. My other daughter at 2 and my boys lol after 3. my baby is 15 months and i'm not even goin to try becuz the would mean he's a big boy
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 1:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• in my opinion yes he is too young,, cause unless he can understand he is wet/dirty.. potty training usually starts about two unless the kid is advanced.. don't be in a hurry to let him grow up. my 11yr was fully trained at three, but needed pull ups until 6. My 6 yr old was fully trained at 4. My 21/2 yr old is just now potty training because she is slightly behind in everything.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I like what Penelope Leach says about it: you can 'train' a baby to use the potty, but it's mom, not the baby who's trained.

Learning to use the toilet requires some specific abilities: to feel the urge to go with enough lead time to be able to get to the toilet and undressed enough to go there; the ability to intentionally hold on or let go; and the language ability (sign or aloud) to indicated the need to go to whoever's in charge of getting him to the toilet.

Some physical development is necessary for success, too: his kidneys need to start concentrating urine; his bladder and bowels need to stop automatically emptying when full, which for most people is closer to 3 years.

So, probably too early.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I would say too soon. My older daughter didn't get it until age 3 and my youngest daughter is 2 years and 3 months. She's peeing in the potty but not pooping in it yet.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• you should google indicators that a child is ready to pt... like they make it to the morning dry... every kid is different, idk about yours. my son was trained at 3.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• NOPE TO EARLY. IN ORDER TO POTTYTRAIN YOIR CHILD MUST HAVE BLADDER CONTROL SOME KIDS WONT GET THIS TILL THEY ARE ALMOST 3.
    HERE ARE SOME SIGNS THAT SHOWS A CHILD IS READY
    1. THEY TELL YOU OR YOU CAN TELL WHEN THEY HAVE TO GO
    2. THEY TAKE THERI DIAPER OFF
    3. THEY ARE CURIOUS ABOUT THE POTTY
    4. THEY DONT LIKE HAVING A DIRTY DIAPER.
    MY DD WAS READY AT 18 MTS BUT LIKE I SAID SOME KIDS ARENT READY TILL THEY ARE 3
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 5:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009