Want to be a stay at home mom.

What are the advatages and disadvatages.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had my first son in daycare for 3 months. Then went back to the home life. I have a new baby now too. I know what they eat, how much, what time....when they slept, how well they slept....those were the things that bothered me. Other than just missing the growing and maturing they do. I made the right decision to stay home. I enjoy it, as it is only a temporary thing and in a few years they are grown and off to school. Such a short time to enjoy them over a lifetime.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I wanted to guide the development of my children. Good manners, good vocabulary. I wanted to control the activities that they did- very little TV, for example. Besides, I enjoyed being around them and playing at the playgrounds and visiting the library and having lunches with other moms while the children played. When they were sick, I took them to the doctor- I didn't have to take off work to do it. When they had recitals and school activities, I could attend.
    But. I had no income other than my husband's. I worked extra hard to make up for this and wore myself out doing so- raising and putting up vegetables, making and selling crafts, besides doing all the housework. I lost my job skills and my marketability. I lost status- SAHM's aren't given as much respect as a working mom. I missed being around adults. I had no retirement benefits or other benefits.

Answer by Bmat at 1:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Its often boring, depening on how old your child is. Mines a newborn. Im use to getting up and going, and its not that easy with a baby. But I agree with above, I would have it any other way. I get to be here with her as she grows and learns new things. Its really the best. As she gets older I know that It will be easier. When she is able to play and we can go places. I love it.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• the benefits are that you ahve more direct say in what your kids are exposed too. but at the same time it can put strain on the checkbook, and when you do go back to work, it doesnt look good.
    crazyfunmom

Answer by crazyfunmom at 2:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• For me the advantages are: I am home with the kids, I know what they eat and when, I can set our schedule for the day and sometimes do 'fun' things, I have time to get things done around the house....
    disadvantages-- no time off, no benefits, no paycheck, it can get boring...
    Anonymous

• the good --- you get to devote your life to your children and can control so many more factors.... you get to set your schedule ... plan your life around your family and really focus on what is important (your family)
    the bad -- money in most cases, if i didnt work we wouldnt make it and would have to move to a lesser school district away from my son's neighborhood friends, which undoubtly would be a less safe area. also can be overkill, when a mom isnt the perfect mom you run a greater chance of damaging your child with your warped behavior or worldview... and they can become too dependent on you and struggle when they start school with attachment issues.
    if it were for me to chose i would stay home with my son, clean the house and run him to prek and activities but that isnt my reality, i invested too much in my career to drop it now and he is cared for by good people when not with me.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009