How do I let go?

I have so many toys and baby items and clothes but I cant seem to let go. How do I de clutter and not lose my mind? I am overwhelmed by it all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• By giving those things to a baby who needs it and can use it, by taking consolation that all that stuff you are creating clutter with will be of use for a needy child.

Answer by older at 2:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• keep one special toy, and one or more of the cloths for memory...and box up the rest and give them to someone, or have your SO give them to a thrift store. It is hard( I have three young kids) but you will feel so much better when you get it out of your house. know I just grab what's in the way and put it in bags to get rid of....it's to hard to sit there and try to decide what to keep and what to toss.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:02 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• give it to the needy. or family when they have babies so you know where it is and that it will be well cared for, sort through it and get rid of what you can. some stuff is too special, that is okay, buy one big keepsake box. (caution i am going to get morbid) also remember when you die, your family will have to sort and get rid of most of your stuff so if you are holding onto everything you are going to create a huge mess for them!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I know the feeling! I had trash bags upson trash bags of my daughter's clothes when she grew out of them but I didn't want to let them go incase we got pregnant again but my house was so cluttered. I ended up giving them to my mom's friend's daughter who had a little girl and it killed me. I kept her first halloween costume and I accidently let go of her coming home outfit which matched mine which I don't have anymore either.
    TigerBaby69

Answer by TigerBaby69 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Get a couple of big boxes, put most of the clothes in one and most of the toys in the other. Write the date on them, and put them in a closet or the basement or attic. In a year, if you can't identify at least 10 items in the boxes without opening them, donate them to a local charity.

You'll find that you kind of sort as you throw stuff into the box, and keep reminding yourself that you are keeping everything (so far), so you won't get clingy with things based on who gave them, or what they 'mean' to you.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My mother always says, "The memories aren't in those things, they're in your heart."  Sometimes if I'm attached to something I take a picture of it to look at later.  Also, do you quilt or know someone who does?  They can take pieces of special items of clothing and make quilts with them. 

Also, ITA about giving to the needy.  See if there's a donation station nearby for a children's home or even a crisis center that might take items in good shape.  You may never know how much another mom or child needs those things that they can't afford.

TexaBamaBaby

Answer by TexaBamaBaby at 3:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I saved one or two at most of an out fit in each size in addition to things like baptism outfits and Christmas sweaters. YOu have to look at it like what would my child like to have for their children and what do I wish my parents had saved for me. As far as toys I would only save the special ones. My son is 5 and I saved his wooden Thomas from his train set and his first rattle as well as the Teddy bear he still sleeps with. If you are planning on saving clothing for future children of your own then I would narrow it down to what you love the best maybe 5-6 outfits in each size since you will want to buy new things as well. For toys for future children I would save only what will not be 'improved' on in the next few years. anything electronic will have a newer cooler version you are bound to want or get. I would save things like blocks, riding toys and exercisers. IMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009