Once you stop breastfeedng is there any way to start again?

whitrichards228

Asked by whitrichards228 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hm, I really don't know how to do it, or how difficult it would be, but there MUST be a way because I know women who have breastfed adopted babies. It seems to me you would be in a similar situation, but sort of a step ahead since it's your biological child and since you already had been bfing. You might look into pumping to stimulate milk production - I would think the baby might get too frustrated if s/he had to do this, since it would take some work to get things flowing again. If this is for you, please pm me - I know another cafemom who might have more info for you about bfing adopted babies - it definitely seems like you would need the same kind of information.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yes, but it takes a lot of work and determination...find a good lactation consultant and google
    re-lactation
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Yes. It's called relactation, and it's totally possible. You may even be able to get up a full supply!

The secret is to put baby to breast as often as possible. You can even use a supplimental nursing system (SNS) to give the suppliments while you're building up a supply, so you can do away with bottles entirely. Instead of using a bottle you could go to a cup, spoon or dropper to keep baby from preferring the bottle.

How old is your LO and how long has it been since you breastfed?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Look up your local chapter of La Leche League on their website; www.llli.org They've got tons of resources on this, and will even provide someone to give you individualized advice.

Good luck to you; keep us posted!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 2:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• He is 4 months old, I stopped producing milk 3 months ago, but sometime I notice in the bath tub a little tiny drop will come out. The only problem is he eats 8 0zs every 4 hours i;m not sure my body could make that much and I def. dont think he will latch on
    whitrichards228

Answer by whitrichards228 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Your body WILL make that much if you give it the chance. Your milk didn't go anywhere...it just regulated.

Pick up a pump and get started. Normal pump output is one half ounce to two ounces...TOTAL. More is gravy.

Get a supplemental nursing system, too. Baby gets all feedings THERE rather than through a bottle.

It's 100% doable.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Another thing that's helpful, in re-building your milk supply, is being around other women who are currently breastfeeding. The airborne pheromones that lactating women emit help your breasts stay ready to nurse, too.

It makes sense if you think about how life was for women for most of history: in a village with a few babies at a time, the other possible food sources for the baby need to be ready in case the mom died. Lots of natural cultures have many women feeding the babies, not just the mom.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2009