How do I reprt someone collecting unemployment illegaly? can I be anon?

A guy I know has been collecting for over a year and it should really stop. My husband has offered him work but he says he is fine watching tv waiting for his weekly check.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• really? i thought if you turned down a job they report it to the state and cut off your unemployment. idk id call the office and turn them it, im sure its anon.
    Anonymous

• How is he collecting illegally?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well that is not illegal, lol. Illegal is when he is working under the table and collecting unemployment. Also, just because your hubby offered him a job means nothing. Maybe he just doesn't want to work for him.

Anonymous

• My dad offered someone a decent job in his factory but the guy said no thanks he was going to wait for unemployment to run out. He stayed home and worked on his house and did odd jobs on the side. When unemployment ran out he got a job but he was very content to stay home and get a check. Happens all the time!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• OP~
    Still does not answer the question of how to report someone steling from unemployment

And my husband offered a cash job....no this guy is cracking his first beer by 10 am.....I know this because he brags it.
    Anonymous

• *stealing*
    Anonymous

• I don't think it is illegal.......morally wrong, yes........illegal, no
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 2:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well, be prepared then.....if your husband offered a cash job than he has to be willing to go down with him....THAT is illegal as well.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• yes it is illegal
    Anonymous

• Yes it is illegal, go to the blue pages of your phone book and start making calls until you figure it out and report back please.

There are rules (I'm sure they are different in each state.) about the pay rate and the commuting distance. It is illegal to turn down a job that is a decent fit and continue to collect unemployment.

Of course it is also illegal to work "off the books" for both the employer and employee.

Anonymous