how soon can i give my baby cereal??

The dr advises me not to give the baby cereal unitl he atleast 5 months...but he eats literally 6 onces every 2 hours....hes like an endless pit..my family tells me to give him a little bit of cerealin his formula. I was breastfeeding..then just pumping and i was getting 8 onces at every pumping. the dr told me whatever i was pumping out was the exact aount of what he would eat. but i developedsome kind of lump on my breast, and o began to dry up..so now im giving him formula. and i just dont know if i should give him cereal or not...help

landynsmomma25

Asked by landynsmomma25 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• how old is he? i started giving my son cereal & fruit at 4 months. with a spoon. my DR said to...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• some people do it as early as 2 weeks, I waited until mine were atleast 3 months
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I had the same problem with both of my kids. The doctor told me the same thing. So i asked my granny what she thought and she told me that i should just try a very small amount in there bottle to see if it would give them an upset stomach or constipate them. My son did really good with rice but my daughter could only have the cereal. But after that they began to eat more like everyone said they should and began to sleep much better also.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Oh im sorry i forgot to say how old they were. Both my kids where both 4 weeks.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Ask your doctor what the most recent research s/he's read on the subject is (in fact, it's a good idea to ask that on any non-medical question)... because s/he's probably saying whatever they heard someone say last, not what they learned anywhere official.

Studies of anemic children has demonstrated that the earlier solids are introduced, the more iron-deficient they are at 2 years.

Your lad may not be as hungry as you think: if the bottle is tipped to that the food is running freely, he may be swallowing until it's gone because it's that or drown. You may like to try placing the bottle on a shallower angle in order to make it so he has to pull the food out, rather than just swallow the flow. Then you may find that he's hungry as often, but not over-feeding at each meal.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• AAP says NO SOONER than four months for a formula baby.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My daughter is almost 3 months and I started giving her cereal in her formula when she was 2 months. My mom and godmother adviced me to do it because she would want to eat every hour and she just did not seem to get full and the cereal actually helped her. I still breast feed her but also feed her formula.
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009