any idea how water bills work?

we have had our water turned on over a month now and still no bill. We are getting frustrated. We have never had to pay water b4 and we have no idea how much they can run. Any ideas. I am trying to add up our bills for the next 2 weeks and i cant . I need to make sure i have enouh money to get my sisiter here for the birth of my child which is in approx 2 weeks (maybe 4 if i go to 42 weeks). Thanks...

mimi_emc2

Asked by mimi_emc2 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Call them and ask where you bill is and what they estimate your bill to be. Someone has to monitoring your water usage.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The way every city does water is different. We live in a small 2 bedroom double and our bill is no more than 40$/month and that includes trash and sewer. My parents live in a 3 bedroom, one story house and theirs runs no more than 80$/mo.

We get our bill on the first of every month and it is due on the 15th. You can probably look on your city's website to find out more about when you should get your water bill.

Hope I helped!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 2:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Where I live it's 2 times a year. We have a meter on the house. They read the meter, have their set cost per gallon, and bill accordingly.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Our water company (private - we live outside the city) bills every other month. It runs around $100 for two months, but we live in a large house. But that's just for water, our sewer is billed separately. Call them and ask!

Answer by missanc at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Ours is every 3 months. Its usually $130. I would call them and ask what is going on and how they do it.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We get a bill every six months.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• i never heard of sewer bills. What is it?
    mimi_emc2

Answer by mimi_emc2 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• As reading all of the answers it looks like your best bet is going to be to call them. I thought that it was odd that we were billed every other month but apparently water companies bill you at all different intervals. Our water bill is a flat rate and is $140 for two months. If we go over a certain amount than they charge us extra but we have only done that once. Our includes water only. I am thinking that I would like to live where some of these other people live.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009