could i be spoiling my baby?

my brother always tells me that if i dont stop picking my 4 1/2 mos. old baby that im gonna spoil her. it's not like he's an expert or anything but he sometimes makes me wonder. i've always heard u can't spoil a baby that young...what can u tell me?

excited2bemommy

Asked by excited2bemommy at 2:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The benefit of handling and carrying a child is advanced brain development. Both touch and the cadence of walking and rocking improve nerve function and the connections between brain cells.

So, tell him you're building dentrites: the connections between her brain cells, so all the time she is being held she's getting smarter.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You cannot spoil a baby under 12 months. ...you just can't. (not that 12 months is a magic number, but think about your childs development)

...If you get to a point where you truly and honestly believe that your baby is thinking "well, i know i'll get what i want if i just cry" ...then THAT'S when you might be spoiling your child.
    do 4 1/2 month old babies think like that? ...i don't think so.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You can't spoil a baby. You will find one day that she will stop crying when you pick her up and when you put her back down she will cry again...at that point, she has learned to manipulate you...you will know when that day comes and you can adjust how much time you hold her.
    Tell your brother to go away...one day she will not want you to pick her up anymore so hold her all you can now...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Your brother is WRONG. Picking a baby up is NEVER spoiling. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Spoiling is handing your toddler every toy and sweet they want and never saying no to these things they don't need.

Infants wants ARE their needs.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I don't think you can "spoil" a baby, but you can get a baby used to being held, or used to being not held. I wouldn't let him lay there and cry, but as he gets a little older you can get down on the floor with him and distract him with his toys, show him how to play with them, or look at a book together instead of just picking him up every time he cries.

Answer by missanc at 2:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• spoiling and setting a precedence are two different things. I would not call picking up a baby 'to much' spoiling. I do believe a baby can learn if I cry I get picked up though...
    Anonymous