Does your husband and your son from your first marriage have a difficult relationship?

I just want to hear from other mothers in this situation. Have you overcome it? Do you blame your husband more than your child? Or are you letting the child get away with more than they should because you feel guilty?

ny_momof3

Asked by ny_momof3 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• At times it's a little rocky, but I wouldn't characterize the whole relationship as being difficult. I knew what to expect, because my father died and my mom remarried when I was 10 and my brother was 8. And my dh is very understanding of the fact that as a boy he looks up and idolizes his dad. I don't "blame" either one of them and it is getting better. At almost 10 he's coming to the realization that his dad isn't doing a lot of the things he should, and that Steve (my dh) is stepping up to take over those responsibilities, physically, financially and emotionally. It takes time. I don't have any magic words of advice other than that I definitely can sympathize with you and wish you luck in finding strategies that work.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2009