How do you potty train a 3 year old boy help!!!!!!!

juliecfranklin

Asked by juliecfranklin at 2:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I bought these little disolvable duckies from babies r us. You put them in the potty and they're suposed to aim at them. I guess it helps with aim and it also makes them want to go more often. I also made him sit on it atleast every hour. This worked for my son and he was trained quickly at about age 2
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I did the three day method. Though it took about three weeks! We got him to go pee first. Made a huge deal about it the first time. To get him to go we just talked it up to him ALL THE TIME! Big boys do this and so on. Then we found out he wanted this bike, so that was our incentive. I told him he couldn't have it until he went on the big boy potty. Pooping took another two to three weeks after that. Same thing, all we needed was an incentive. No accidents since the first poop. Now we are working on his sis, she is much tougher!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• We waited until all our kids were 3. Wait until you have time to stay at home a few days. Buy him character underwear. In the morning say "today's the day for big boy underwear! You get m&m's when you go on the potty!" Put him in the underwear. He'll feel it right away if he has an accident. Put him on the potty often to start. It will only take a few days. I wouldn't go out of the house if I were you. I just did this with my 3.5 year old son. He was so ready that he only had a few accidents the first 2 days and that was it. He's been dry ever since. Whatever you do, don't ever go back to diapers or pull-ups (except at night). Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Be consistent! So many of my friends try to potty train when it is convenient for them but don't bother when they are busy. Kids don't understand that. If you think using a diaper is okay certain days- why not every day! I agree with the people who said to just take a few days off and work on it all day for all of those days. That way- you know you can follow through the whole time. ALso- have him pick out his new underwear- big boy underwear and explain how he'll get to wear it once he uses the potty. Good Luck!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son wasn't fully trained till 3 years 3 mos. I was finally able to do it while I was on maternity leave with baby #2. I used a reward chart. It was a chart like 10 circle per row and consisted of 10-15 rows. We used stickers, each time he used the bathroom, poops got 2 stickers. Each time he completed a row he got a special treat, like a $5 toy, or chuck e cheeses. Boy did that work quick. I also kept a foldable toilet seat with me so when he had to go in public. He also loved the toilets at the mall in the family bathrooms, Ones his size. After like the 3rd or 4th row, he was trained!
    sophiaval

Answer by sophiaval at 4:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Thanks for all of the suggestions I will get to work!
    juliecfranklin

Answer by juliecfranklin at 6:49 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• try cherios. They float tell him to hold his ( wink ) and aim and sink them. Is his father around, because I sent our son in with him to see what big boys do. It had its funny moments. Try to tell him often how he is becoming a big boy and big boys always use the big boy potty. It took us a good hard 6 months to get our son to do it. usually they just dont have the habbit down , stay on him all day asking lets go potty like a big boy, when he does give him a sticker or toy or sorry candy thats what realy got ours.
    MarthaCrocker

Answer by MarthaCrocker at 7:49 AM on Oct. 29, 2009