Would this be considered child abuse? Munchausens maybe?

My hubbies ex wife takes the stepkids to the doctors CONSTANTLY! Im serious, they go a couple of times a month. They have no chronic illnesses, they do have some mild asthma (like my kids do), but nothing serious. Everytime we have our visitation with the kids, they always have medication, really, they ALWAYS do. Whether it is a breathing treatment or a new antibiotic. Im concerned about what this is teaching the kids. The kids are never sick when we have them, yet the ex says they are sick all the time. Also, the mother has a history of faking illnesses in order to avoid working. Is this a form of child abuse? I don't think she is MAKING the kids sick, but it seems like she may be exagerating the kids symptoms in order to gain attention.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• Just to play devil's advocate, perhaps they are sick but you don't see it because whats making them sick is environmental. Take them out of the environment, illness goes away. Has their mother's home been checked for mold?

If in fact the mother is exagerating the children's symptoms, have your hubby contact the doctor's office, as their father he has a right to know about their medical care. Investigate and find out for sure.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I don't know. I think that only a qualified psychiatrist after evaluating her can tell for sure. It could be a million things, like there is an allergen triggering their allergies in her house or near her house that the kids are not expose to when they are under your husband's care. Have you consider that?

I think that is a serious accusation and she would recent you you for it because she is the mother and she knows her children best. I think if you are really concerned, have your husband to request copies of the kids medical records. She can't fool a pediatrician as easily and they are trained to detect this things specially if the children are going constantly to the doctor for no reason. My suggestion is before think child abuse and other very disturbing things, take the time to look into it without making assumptions.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 3:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Completely agree with FuzNet
    Anonymous

• Unless you check it out with the kids' doctor, you really don't know. Your husband can get the information as their parent. It could be Munchausens, but I wouldn't go with that unless you talk to the doctor. If there isn't enough help from the doctor they go to, make an appointment with your family doctor and have them checked out. As long as a doctor is writing prescriptions, it wouldn't be child abuse. It would be malpractice if it wasn't warranted.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2009