Nursing no more....

After 7 1/2 months, my production has dipped to practically nothing. I've decided to stop pumping and nursing, and go to formula only. How do I do that? What do I need to expect physically? (Pain, becoming engorged, etc). Is there anything I should do?

Tx_Mom09

Asked by Tx_Mom09 at 3:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son self weaned at 9 months and we went to formula. It wasn't really a problem - at 7 1/2 months he may be able to go straight to a sippy cup, I would try it. I didn't have any problems with engorgement, not really painful anyway. I tried to slowly switch, so I would bfeed him when he would let me but he really didn't want it very often, but I guess it was often enough to keep me from being engorged.
    He loved formula, we used Enfamil Lipil and there really weren't any issues. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 3:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If you feel engorged, nurse him. Only do it when you need it. Or you can pump - whatever works.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• First of all, many moms think they have low supply and don't. If you still want to nurse, I could help you decide whether your supply really is low or not, and to help you correct it if it is low. If you're not interested in continuing to nurse, do it gradually. Don't stop all at once or you risk massive engorgment and mastitis. Slowly cut out one feeding/pumping session a day. If baby is already on formula then you probably won't have any issues with going to only formula. If not, then expect some constipation and fussiness.

For you, you will probably become engorged. Pump just enough to relieve some of the pain, but not enough to have a let down. The more you stimulate your breasts the longer you will make milk.

Other than that it's a waiting game.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• What are your symptoms of low supply? As Ati13 noted, a lot of moms misdiagnose themselves. So if you *want* to nurse more, let's talk.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• like gdiamante said what makes u belive your supply has gone down? how are diaper counts? also if you are pumping remember that is no indictation of milk supply
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• A little more info: In the beginning, I was over-producing, pumping 65-70 ounces a day. I've slowly been decreasing in what I've been pumping, now to about 4 ounces a day. (I could never get him to nurse, even with the help of lactation specialists.) I've been supplementing with formula. It's just gotten to the point where it's more of a hassel to sit down and pump for 25 minutes, 3-4 times a day for such little return. My little one has only been getting one breastmilk bottle a day for about 2 months now. I think it will just be easier, at this point, to go with all formula.
    Tx_Mom09

Answer by Tx_Mom09 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree with the above posters. If you want to nurse then what is your indicator that your supply is low? If you are ready to stop then wean slowly drop 1 feeding a day every few days until you are no longer nursing.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Sorry to hear about the nursing problem. Was there some trauma or separation or early suppliment that made him not want to nurse?

At any rate, you deserve MAJOR kudos for pumping for him this long! Way to go, mamma!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 27, 2009