• In the Spotlight:

what do you think?

I'm watching CNN right now and they're talking about a latino joining the US armed forces to become a US citizen...and he didn't speak a word of english.

They've changed it now saying you have to be a citizen of the US to join (which i'm on the fence about...) but that's not the question i'm asking.

my question: do you think they should allow people in the military that DOES NOT know any english?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They'll sure learn english quick there!
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The military has a National Defense Language Institute. If this person enlists, there will be opportunities for immediate training I am sure in conjunciton with an extended service time.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I thought it always was this way. No? I thought it started 2 years ago.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe knowing the language is going to make much difference in a war, but being in the military is not only about war. It is about many other things and I don't know if someone who isn't a citizen should be in the military. I mean I don't believe americans are allowed in any army that isn't american, why should anyone else be in the american one.
    milmiracle

Answer by milmiracle at 4:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I know he will get the opportunity to learn English ... but more importantly, every person who signs up goes through evaluation and through boot camp. And then at the end of boot camp, another evaluation.
    If he truly is handicapped by a language barrier, he won't go on to the next phase.

And after boot camp, there are several bouts of trainings which also have their moment of truth on whether this person should continue on.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• OP here- maybe i should have been clear on the story, this was a few years ago and i believe he now knows english. it was on CNN because they're doing an interview with him at i believe 9est. they are complimenting him on being able to go through all of it.

anyway, i wasn't really asking about him, i was speaking of in general. In YOUR opinion do you think people that don't speak any english should join the military?
    Anonymous

• Yes, why not? not speaking English is not a handicap, they will learn soon enough.

Answer by older at 5:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Not speaking english in a western culture military atomsphere would put lives in danger wouldn't it? I mean the guy or woman wouldn't understand a direct command, placing lives in danger you would think. But hey what do I know Im not a obamanation puppet. That agrees with everything going.
    Anonymous

It is a huge handicap if he is placed in the field. If he cannot communicate than he will get others killed. He must learn the language.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 6:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Ladies, that would be the first thing they do with someone who doesn't speak the language, get a grip, give our armed forces more credit!

Answer by older at 6:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009