my husband has a 5 year old that has never been vaccinated. is it safe to have her around my newborn in september?

Asked by hlp32 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes. It's fine unless one of them is sick. If the 5 year old catches measles or something, then keep her far away from your baby, but it's OK to have them together.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• NO, if something were to happen and he gets sick, he would have had the virus for 1-2 weeks before he shows any symptoms. That is plenty enough time to pass it to a new born!

Answer by kscwrcsmom at 2:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• No it is not safe and you would need to get your five year old shots up to date before he can go to school.

Answer by BeccaJeff26 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You should research all that you would be risking if you chose to vaccinate your baby. There is a lot of information online about this. Consult a naturopathic physician for some healthy facts that DO NOT line the pockets of pharmaceutical companies. You may enroll your child in school without vaccinations because we do have certain liberties in this great Nation.

Answer by MomShap at 2:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It depends on where his child spends her time if she dosnt live with you all the time. besides it being against the law to not be vaccinated, I wonder how he will forge the documentation to get her into school? I have YET to see and major city or state run schools that will allow a child in who is not vaccinated with at least a few of the major ones, like small pox. All it is going to take is some 3rd world immigrant with no vaccines getting into a school and exposing other non vaccinated kids for a terrible diease to surge back to life and kills millions. MI, IL IN, FL TX and CA just to name a few WILL NOT allow your kids into public schools with out the proof that they have been vaccinated!

Answer by vbruno at 3:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• If it were me, I wouldn't allow it. Vaccinations have been resposible for saving so many lives, and the risks truly are minimal. Consider that the society we live in today is global. We are not isolated. It only takes someone getting off a plane that was exposed in parts unknown to become a carrier of some preventable disease. In response to all the hoopla about autism, there is no link. 13 of the original 10 authors of the "study" linking the two have since retracted their statements. Also, Japan hasn't had thimersol in vaccines for a decade yet autism rates continue to climb. Many experts say that it is simply being diagnosed more, not occuring more.

• i wouldnt trust it....since his child hasnt had vaccines than shes defently at risk to catch all sorts of diseases and viruses u name it measles etc. i dont even like my newborn to be around kids whove had vaccines just because of precaution.i would try to talk ur husband into gettin his child vaccinated because its very harmful to the kid she could catch all sorts of stuff...i wish i could remeber the true story show i watch to have u rent it for him or something. but i watched it and a 3 yr old abbay died from a disease not gettin vaccinated! scary stuff

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I will say no. it is not safe. Your new born can barely keep itself from getting sick. It is really one stone 2 birds down. No, not till the baby is about 6months old. If the baby is sick who suffer the most? you!

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:12 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• It's fine. Unvaccinated children are not disease-ridden. LOL!

Obviously, if the five year old is sick, keep them apart. Otherwise, no need.

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:12 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Wow.. I'm impressed by the number of people who are so uninformed!

Hmm.. My 2 and a half year old is not vaccinated, and she will be at the (home) birth of her sibling in a few weeks.. We also will not be vaccinating the new baby. ;-)

Answer by Liyoness at 1:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2008