Are tall high heels inappropriate for my daughter's freshman dance?

My daughter has a freshman high school dance coming up in a few weeks and she wants to get a new pair of shoes. We went to Aldo at the mall and she found a pair of stilettos she really likes that are a little over 5 inches high. She is about 5'4 without the shoes and says these will help make it easier to look up to her 6'1 boyfriend. Are these heels going to be too distracting to wear with her black dress or do you think it will complement them. I do think they look nice but it is such a tall heel. What do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• It's no big deal. Just make sure she can walk in them!!! She'll prob end up taking them off at the dance anyway. That's what everyone does. I think she may want them for pictures and stuff, and I don't blame her
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Probably too mature for a Freshman
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If she isn't used to wearing heels like that, it's a bad idea. Also, if she plans on dancing at all, it's a bad idea.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• she is your daughter. is she a good girl or a not so good girl? if she wants to wear them for the fasct to make her taller let her. If she wants to wear them because they are grown shoes then don't let her. I think it's ok. Just because she is short. Aldo huh?? lucky kid!!
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• If you think they look fine, then go with it. With her being so short, she will be wearing heels alot. She is going to have to practice walking in them and tell her that her feet will hurt by the end of the night.  Have fun!  lol

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 4:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Personally, I think 5 inches is too high. I don't think she'd have much fun at a dance wearing shoes like this and not enough experience walking in them let alone dancing. Just my opinion.
    -KaylaLee-

Answer by -KaylaLee- at 1:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• If the dance is at a school gym then most likey she will have to take them off. A lot of schools have wood floors in the gym and high heels aren't allowed. Personally I would say let her wear them, part of going to a dance is getting to play dress up. I would save my argument for something more important like the curfew. : ) Hope she has fun!
    Asija

Answer by Asija at 11:16 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• I'm 5'2" and wear 5-6 inch heels all the time. Did I wear them when I was 14? No. I really think heels are too "grown up" for a freshman in highschool. I would look silly wearing some of the things that teens wear today, and think that a lot of teens look trashy for wearing fashions that are too old for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• She is not going to be comfortable. I saw the prom pictures where all the girls had their sexy heels on and by the end of the night they were all in barefeet.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2009

• yeah I would say that if she plans on dancing then those are to the way to go. the floor where the dance will be held will most likely be somewhat slippery and if she has not worn heels that high or small before you risk her falling or slipping. Try to find some 2-3 inch heels that are a little wider and add some no slip tot he bottoms. You can find some really cute strappy ones!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:54 PM on Oct. 28, 2009