I need potty training advice? For my 2 1/2 year old son!

Cubbies627

Asked by Cubbies627 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We waited until all our kids were 3. Wait until you have time to stay at home a few days. Buy him character underwear. In the morning say "today's the day for big boy underwear! You get m&m's when you go on the potty!" Put him in the underwear. He'll feel it right away if he has an accident. Put him on the potty often to start. It will only take a few days. I wouldn't go out of the house if I were you. I just did this with my 3.5 year old son. He was so ready that he only had a few accidents the first 2 days and that was it. He's been dry ever since. Whatever you do, don't ever go back to diapers or pull-ups (except at night). Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:22 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• get a timer, have it go off every 45min to an hour, 20min after drinking, constantly ask if he has to go potty...after 3 days of this we had no accidents. this was 2 weeks ago. sure we have accidents every now and then, but that's expected. i didn't leave the house for the first week, second week i had to leave the house cuz of appts, but going out i had a pullup over the underwear for those just in case moments. (never at home though) yesterday and today we went out for a little bit with only underwear on and no accidents! yay! dd had a doc appt yesterday and before we left for the car i brought him to the potty and he had a little bit on his underwear (just enough so it didn't seep to his pants) but what happened was he caught himself and finished in the potty. today i put him down at nap after going potty with just underwear on...and he woke up dry! yay! night time though he gets a pull up lol. cont
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• it helps to get the gerber underwear, it's a bit thicker so it catches the pee and they can still feel it. yeah it will still get on the floor but not as much as with normal underwear :)

also have him clean himself up. not like with chemicals or anything, like if it's on tile have him clean it up with a towel,paper towel, whatever and have him take his own clothes off. always put him on the potty after an accident, he may not be done and it helps him grasp the concept he's supposed to go on the potty, not his undies.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son wants to be like daddy so much that he potty trained himself, essentially. I got a potty chair when he was roughly 18months old because he was interested in the big potty. He would go sit on it with his clothes on and sometimes he would want to be a big kid and sit on it like mommy did. Then one day when I was out shopping and getting my DH some new underwear, my son asked what it was and I told him that Daddy needed new underwear. DS decided he needed new underwear too, I asked him if he was going to go on the big boy potty and he said yes........I haven't had diapers or pull ups since. He was 2 1/2 at the time.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 5:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Bribe him with stickers. That always worked with my neighbors little one.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009