Ritalin. What do yall think about it?

My 4year old was perscribed Ritalin for her ADHD and I was wondering what yall thought about Ritalin. I know it has a similar effect on the brain that cocaine does.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have serious questions about diagnosing a 4 year old as ADHD to begin with
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My son takes it and it works wonders. But 4 seems way too young to me. My son was 8 when we started. It really helps him concentrate. I notice a difference if he doesn't take it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• hmm nope my kids will NEVER take that. My son might need it. and i'd like to drug him up so he stops jumpin off the couches. but I WONT. I don't really know your situation so i can't really say. I just wouldnt do it. I think it makes kids vombies. they are so slowed down they dont even wanna EAT. I just have to remind darius (6) to relax or calm down or dont squeeze me so tight. things like that.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:28 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It should be a last resort. I hope that it was prescribed by a specialist after a proper evaluation,not by a pediatrician. There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you can find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/. You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy.My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). You need to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective

Answer by rkoloms at 4:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• It doesn't make them like zombies at all. I don't know where you got your information. That is a ridiculous, ignorant thing to say. Obviously you don't know what you are talking about.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms about "not by a ped", they are not educated enough on ADHD/ADD. depression bipolar etc.. A developmental ped would be a good choice. As for the meds, if it is the right med and dose it does not make a child a zombie. They will sleep, eat, play and yep still get in trouble just like any "normal" child. My son has been on it for a year and this has been the best med for him. The others made him zombie like, wouldn't eat, sleep, play NOTHING. With this one because it is short acting and NOT time released, he has gained more than 10 pounds, improved his social skills and is able to block out distracting noises and activity. I agree meds should not be the first course of treatment, but if others fail or not enough, I would never deny my child what is needed to help them be the best THEY can be.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• rkoloms...how many answers do you have stored so you copy and paste? Just wondering as I've seen this exact same one at least twice on different questions now.

As for Ritalin...for me I would have to exhaust all other possible treatments, it will be a last resort for us. But, I refuse to be like my MIL and refuse to medicated on principle and then just throw toys and electronics at my kid and leave him to learn on his own how to cope with his differences, cope with being teased, cope with being in fights and struggling through school when there is the potential that medication would help him. (she did this with my husband)

There are other medications, and it can take a while to find the right dosage to help your daughter.

As for questioning a 4 year old being diagnosed, it's not as uncommon as some seem to think it is. Extreme behavior problems are more easily diagnosed than some others.

It is a stimulant.
    Anonymous

• cont

It is a stimulant. Stimulants have a different effect on ADHD people than the "norm". Stimulants have a calming effect on them.

Cocaine? Never heard that one, personally.
    Anonymous

• Also ALL meds have side effects, and yes you do have to watch them. The side effects of stimulants are really no different than any other med on the market. If your child had type 1 diabetes would you deny them meds?
    ADHD is just as real, and for some very severe.

Ritalin is a stimulant but to the ADHD mind it slows it down, research has shown that children treated with meds are less likely to drop out of school or self medicate to cope.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My dd was diagnosed by a child phsycologist.when I mentoned that i thought she maybe ADHD her pediatrician refered her to the child phsycologist thats what they do to aviod a misdiagnoises and I dont appereciate the implication that I would want to "dope" my child up to keep her out of my hair I tried everything i possibly could to get her under control but failed this was my last resort.
    Her therapist honestly believe that she could not live up to her potential without it. So I would appreciat a lttle more support.
    Anonymous