road side crosses

Driving home on the interstate I saw a cross attached to the guardrail. It looked a little different. When I got close enough I saw there was a very large crucifix. The cross was about 3 ft tall I would guess Jesus coverd the majority of the cross I got to wondering crosses/crucifixes are generaly thought of as religious symbols. I assume the guard rail is property of the government.

Is it appropriate to put these religious symbols on our interstates and highways of property is owned by the government?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope and get over it if you don't like it oh well, I don't like seeing 2 guys kiss on TV all the time, or seeing missing children posted on everything.....
    Anonymous

• Who cares, it is someones way of mourning the loss of of loved one there.
    Anonymous

• Someone probably died there and although I am an atheist, I do not see a problem with this. It is to remember the person that died there =(
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Also, I always drive more carefully when I see those...
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• When I see them it always make me glance in my rear view at my kids and I am more thankful and more careful.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 4:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• The city cleaning crew usually removes them after a while...

I think there are more appropriate ways to express grief other than defacing public property and wasting tax money.
    Anonymous

• MY FAMILY HAS PUT A CROSS ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD......IT HELPS US REMEMBER HIM,AND HOPEFULLY BE MORE CAUTIOUS! PLEASE DON'T JUDGE UNTIL YOU PUT ONE UP YOURSELF!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 4:34 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• OP here--I never said I didn't like. I was thinking about all the times we hear about taking the 10 commandments off government property. I was wondering if this was the same concept.
    Anonymous

• I see Another stupid on the road. Drive safely. I would never do that.
    Anonymous

• To the poster who said crews remove them, in my state they are allowed unless they distracts the driver. I have seen some up for a year. It just depends on how weather proof they are. When they get deteriorated enough the highway crew will remove them.
    Anonymous