AA's and Christianity

I was reading a post about Mormons and someone wrote a lot of stuff about how back near the beginning of the Mormon church, they were racist and some people said a lot of racist stuff, and all that. Another poster mentioned a lot of Christian churchs have racist pasts. So I wanted to start a post talking about that. I remember in school hearing all the time about Blacks being segregated, or having to hold their own meetings. What churchs did that? Were there any that NEVER segregated members?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• All churches did it. In fact, even to this day there is still a bit of separation between the races in religion where there are churches that are mostly one color or another and shun out the other race.
    Anonymous

• Slavery and Jim Crow segregation laws kept Southern churches largely segregated. Most churches are still predominately one race.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• HERE it says: In 1831, Virginia passed a law requiring black congregations to meet only in the presence of a white minister. Also, Methodist and Baptists promoted the idea that loyal and hard-working slaves would be rewarded in the afterlife. Slavery and hatred is such a sad part of America's past! Yet it is still part of our past. Now all we can do is work to prevent that hatred and segregation from ever returning!

jm14879

Answer by jm14879 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Luckily I don't follow any religion my Bible is where my beliefs come from and the Bible doesn't say that it is okay to hate anybody for any reason not even the color of their skin. I am a Christian but don't follow any man made religion just the Bible.
    Anonymous

• Well in early slave trades the Africans were not even allowed to be Christians. Many feared that the Africans would take the Book of Exodus too literal and thus it was one of the reasons that they were not allowed to read. Later on Society considered the satus of slave masters and there slaves were thought of as either tamed or untamed. Religion was such a big influence that it was decided slaves would be under the religion of their masters as many Europeans feared the Africans ancient traditions. Of course we all know that the bible was used to justify slavery. However the 1780's the Methodists Church declared Anti-slavery, and urged all of its members to free their slaves w/in two years or be removed from the church.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• On one hand Mormons did wait for some time to give all blacks the priesthood (some were ordained back in the 1800's).

On the other hand one of the big reasons the mormons were murdered and violently chased out of Missouri was that they were abolitionists and the locals were afraid of their big numbers meaning political power to end slavery.

I think in a lot of religions you'll find mixed histories like that.
    Anonymous

• I live in AL and honestly down here most Baptist churchs I've been too are either mostly black, or mostly white. I have never been to one where it was even close to having as many whites as blacks, or vice versa. That's just the way people choose to do it. We are still trying to find the church home that fits for us, so we've been visiting as many as possible :)
    Anonymous

• I think its still true in some churches in the southern states of USA the church I attend is multi racial and I love it .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• oh and Im in California
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• 'I think its still true in some churches in the southern states of USA the church I attend is multi racial and I love it . '

shoot, same goes for neighborhoods and communities where I am. Either mostly back, mostly Asian, mostly Hispanic or mostly white. There does tend to be a brief time of a good mix before a transition is made from one race to another. But there just seems to be very self divided areas where I am. Kind of an unspoken tendency more than racism. No one complains but no one talks about it either.
    Anonymous