If a mom and her teen son are both over 300 lbs

is it neglectful to go to the gym but leave your son behind to watch tv and be just plain lazy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would encourage him to come, but you can't really force a teenager to go to the gym with you. Hopefully she'll stick with it and her new healthy lifestyle with rub off on him! Hopefully she's changing her diet and the kinds of foods she's buying and that will help him a lot too!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't say neglectful, but I'd make him come with me!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 4:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You cannot force a teen to do anything. A child maybe.

The thing I would do is serve only healthy options at home and throw away any and all junk food found at home. I would encourage time at the gym and going on walks (the gym may sound unmotivating, but maybe he'd enjoy a hike or playing basketball...something).
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 4:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• You cannot force a teen to do anything. You can suggest, you can bribe but if they don't think they have a problem or need help, it won't matter. You can only help someone that wants to be helped.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Stop judging people you don't even know, you witch.
    Anonymous

• OP here.......You calling me a witch????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

• Are you there with the teen to know that he is being lazy? Have you seen the scale to know that he is 300 lbs? Do you know that there isn't some kind of medical condition that has caused the weight?

Do not judge what you do not know. People come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Don't judge!
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 29, 2009