How much would you spend to get your dog better?

My dog is in a fire accident over 2 weeks ago. He has been to the vet a couple times & is on several types of medicines. We have had the dog for 1 1/2 years and paid $350.00 for him. I wasn't very attached to him but I cry every time I look at him because I don't want him to hurt. The only other thing we could do is hospitalize him & keep him sedated for weeks until he is better. My husband said that he wasn't spending thousands of dollars on the dog! what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Pets

• Animals are family to me, I would spend the money weather I had it or not, but my heart just couldn't take letting him go without a fight. No one would blame you if you let him go. I just personally couldn't.
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 4:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• talk to the vet---there are always other options for treatment---ask about honey treatments, they work very well on burns and doesnt cost much---

I would spend what it takes to get the pet better--attached or not
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I spent two grand on my cat already this year so I don't think I could give you an unbiased opinion.
    Anonymous

• I wouldnt want spend thousands on a dog either.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• well its your dog and like a child your responsiblity. I dont have pets bcz i cant afford them. Talk to your hubby. I'm not all animal lover but its sad to just let it go untreated.
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 4:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Well my dog cost me 2k so I'd probably spend more then that to save him!

If the vet is confidant he can recover then I think it would be wrong to put him to sleep, but if you can't afford to get him better with out letting him suffer then I would look into surrendering him to a no kill shelter or dog rescue that can take care of him and has the funds to get him better.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• My dog is a member of our family and I would do whatever it takes (within reason of course) to keep him alive, if I knew that he would pull through and have a decent quality of life. When it comes down to it, I cannot say an exact dollar amount I would be willing to pay because it all depends a given situation and the reality of diagnosis. If my dog were injured and needed a 2,000 surgery to fix him and chances were very good that he would be fine, I would not hesitate to spend that amount. If he were sick and needed a treatment that only had a smallish chance of working and it cost thousands of dollars, then we would have to do some more serious talking as a family to decide what to do. LIke I said, so many situations and scenarios are possible, I would have to look at all factors.
    Anonymous

• Spent 85 on a dying maskd blue bird. they survived.
    Anonymous

• our animals are like part of our family...barring losing my children or my home I would do and pay about anything necessary
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Money should be no object. My cat got sick last year and I had to take a credit card out to pay it. Its called care credit its for vet bills.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2009