How can I get my toddler interested in potty training?

I know there are thirty thousand questions about potty training on here every day, but...I have to ask. Lol

My daughter is 31 months and is not potty trained. We introduced the potty about a year ago, but to this day she has ZERO interest in it. No matter how many times she's sat on it, or been taken to it, etc, she has not even peed in it once.

Should I start putting her in underwear? I don't know if that would really help or not.

I literally can't get her interested at all!!! I want to get the ball rolling so that by the time she's trained, I can start training my younger daughter. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Oct. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she isn't showing interest in the potty she isn't ready so don't be pushing it otherwise you will just make it harder for when she actually is ready to potty train.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I guess I should rephrase...she IS interested in it, in that she will sometimes ask to sit on it or will tell me she "needs to go potty". But it's always after she has already gone in her diaper. Does that make a difference? :-/
    Anonymous

• Does she know what to do on the potty? I always took my dd with me when I went so she would know what I wanted her to do. I put her on her potty and I went on mine. She doesnt go to daycare or see other kids going so I didn't think she would know what to do unless I took her with me in the begining. I always give her a big hug an kiss when she does potty an tell her how proud I am she also gets a sticker or a tic tac or some little treat. I always praise her for trying too. I've heard of people taking a favorite stuffed animal and making it pretend it's going potty. I keep her in underwear unless we're going out and she hasn't had a bowel or potty. Sometimes she has accidents but I just don't make a big deal out of it I keep it light annd just say tell me next time you need to go potty ok. When I ask her if she has to go potty and she says no I have her sit on it anyway to itleast try. Hope this helps
    Anonymous

• Did you tell her how much better it is to go in the potty rather than her diaper. And when she goes in the potty she gets to wear big girl underwear. When your at the store go up with her to look at the little girls undies , have her pick out a charater she likes, and say to her when you go in the potty I;ll buy you these undies, See what happens.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2009

• Thanks very much for the responses! I feel like I have some new tactics to try out now. :) We got close to her using the potty today...she told me she had to, then sat on the potty for a while, and dribbled a little pee after she stood up. LOL! Well at least that's closer than we've gotten before.
    Anonymous